condensation in barn

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by ArcticGoats, Jan 6, 2009.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Having a bit of a cold spell here - so i've been closing the goaties in at night (and by cold, I mean cold - 30, 40 below). The barn is getting super frosty between all their breathing and the heated water bucket (which is working great by the by but maybe that's another thread) - anyway, i've been sweeping the frost off the walls but it builds up a lot and 'snows' on them - anyone have any solutions? I haven't been closing the door (as they seem to get all aggressive and i like to leave an escape route) so i've just been using a thick quilt over the door so they can come and go.

2. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    I had this problem in my metal shed I use as a 'maternity barn'. When I closed all the doors it would practically rain on them inside from all the condensation build up.
    I learned quickly that I could not close all the doors and had to leave at least one cracked open to allow air to move through. That solved the problem.

So maybe you are going to just have to let a door open or a dehumidifier in the barn may work as well. :shrug:

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    oh - i forgot to mention that we do have ventilation in the eaves - its just all covered up with hay up in the loft...

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I noticed the same thing last winter, it was the first winter with having a new metal roog over wood walls, it would frost up at night and then melt and drip all day. The barn is not air tight but not draughty either. I am continuously putting dry bedding down.

5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We had that happen before in our hay barn, my Dad and a college aged boy come help line the roof in the inside with plastic and it has helped!

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    All of our sheds get frosty walls.. I've always just thought that it comes with the winter..?

7. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    yeah - the frosty barn I don't mind so much - its just that the goats are getting frosty and I don't want them to get wet at these temperatures (it was -45 this am)

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    all of the walls in our sheds are insulated, even the dog houses, for that reason. havent had any trouble. although its warming up here. maybe we'll go above zero! ArcticGoats, how are their ears? any frostbite?

9. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Nope - good so far in the frost bite department - they are Cashmeres - so they're pretty fuzzy (now the chickens are another matter....actually they are ok but a bit of frost on the wattles but boy do they love :love: their heat lamp). I think I will try to insulate the barn next summer but I have to hand it to my little tough guys - they were out basking in the sun today at -20....

Hope you enjoyed your trip Outside AlaskaBoers...we were in Hawaii but came back just in time for the cold (its good to be here dealing with it, but its bad being here dealing with it LOL!!!)

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    HAWAII!? i've never been. but its sounds....very good about now, only been back for 4 days and already tired of the cold!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina .......you were spoiled by the California Happy goats.....LOL ......Filled with a little ray of sunshine... :sun: :ROFL: