The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We recently just had the goats (Nigerians) show at the fair. They didn't do as well as we would have liked them to do. 2 of them are a little overweight. Not terribly but they could use some help. We are fairly new (1 year) to owning goats and showing.

Can you recommend first amount of feeds grain and hay they should be getting and any other ideas other than just daily walks? They are both yearlings. We don't have a large pasture for them. We'd like to go to our first ADGA show for some extra practice and learning on September. TIA!

·
Registered
528 Posts
So I'm not going to recommended any of our feed because our animals are market animals. I wouldn't be much help. Plus different areas offer different feeds, you might not be able to get what we use. But if your goats have access to field grass you have to take that into account of your overall feed. Stands, jumps and ramps can be good both as play things for the goats and part of your exercise routine. And though walking is important for training if your trying to build muscle or loss fat running especially up hills will do more.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Personally I even very a lot from what our 4-h leader recommended and her daughter does ABGA and registered sheep shows and has a personal trainer and feed coach. Thing is you have to learn what works best for you. Listen to the suggestions do a little research and do what works best for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I'm not going to recommended any of our feed because our animals are market animals. I wouldn't be much help. Plus different areas offer different feeds, you might not be able to get what we use. But if your goats have access to field grass you have to take that into account of your overall feed. Stands, jumps and ramps can be good both as play things for the goats and part of your exercise routine. And though walking is important for training if your trying to build muscle or loss fat running especially up hills will do more.
Thank you unfortunately we only have about an acre so no pasture to run in. We'll incorporate some more jumping and running though.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Keeping track of their weight weekly might also help. You can use it to determine how much they need and hope much they are gaining each week and increase or decrease accordingly. For our market goats our leader doesn't want them on any field browsing mostly because you can't control intake.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wont recommend feed either, we show boers.
But weigh them and figure out their feed requirements off of that weight.
good quality feed and minerals are really important for breeding animals. For the market goats we do short sprints with them vs long walks, think sprinter versus marathon runner. The market animals need to have large bulky muscles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wont recommend feed either, we show boers.
But weigh them and figure out their feed requirements off of that weight.
good quality feed and minerals are really important for breeding animals. For the market goats we do short sprints with them vs long walks, think sprinter versus marathon runner. The market animals need to have large bulky muscles.
Thank you, so here is my plan so far.
Switching to a lower fat feed gradually and a smaller amount daily
Switching to Sweetlix meat maker mineral from mannapro
More daily walks which we need since the one hates too walk. With some occasional sprints and jumping.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.
My youngest loves to take his goat for a walk and several of the others tag along for fun, its a nice evening stroll for us and good for the goats

·
Registered
595 Posts
Do you have any photos of your goats?

I also show my Nigerians (along with LA and Milktest), and I have been told I have "over conditioned" goats several times. Jr does, particularly dry yearlings are more prone to get overweight. As long as they are minimally heavy, I don't worry about it. Some judges are a little more critical on weight than others. I personally will not change my feeding program over one judge's opinion. I do value a judge's opinion, but they are still human and I do not have to agree. I would rather have a goat that's a little heavy than have one who's a little too thin. :)
Once they freshen they'll milk that extra flesh off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I also show my Nigerians (along with LA and Milktest), and I have been told I have "over conditioned" goats several times. Jr does, particularly dry yearlings are more prone to get overweight. As long as they are minimally heavy, I don't worry about it. Some judges are a little more critical on weight than others. I personally will not change my feeding program over one judge's opinion. I do value a judge's opinion, but they are still human and I do not have to agree. I would rather have a goat that's a little heavy than have one who's a little too thin. :)
Thank you I needed to hear that. How much grain do you feed your yearlings daily? I can't find a good answer anywhere. I'm a newbie (ish) so adjustments can be made.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hmm. That's a hard one. I mob feed everyone together LOL We have Lamanchas too, so it is difficult to say for sure.
Probably a few cups each.

·
Registered
595 Posts
And really, as long as they aren't obese don't sweat it too much.
You just don't want them getting so fat where it will cause issues in their shoulders or getting bred. You should post some pics of your ladies! Even if they are a little heavy- no judgement here!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Just cut back on what you are feeding them.
Beyond that, once they are bred and have babies and start making milk they should lose some of the excess flesh.

Edited to add:
And don't worry too much about it if your yearlings don't place that high because they are too "fleshy". I have found those does make good mamas. :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

x2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts