conflict about birth dates of does

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MrKamir, Oct 29, 2010.

1. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    One of our dams had a doe on 1-26-2010 and then another one on 7-20-2010. ADGA is saying that they can't register the 7-20-2010 doe because it was within a 6 month period but i'm pretty sure what day she was born cause i write everything down on the calendar...Also I was looking at my pictures and on the only day it snowed in Central Texas this year 2-23-2010 there is a picture of our 4 month old buck running around with the dam. They are saying the service date was around 2-20-2010 which is probably correct. My husband doesn't think the dam could of gotten pregnant because she had not weaned the babies. Well, she did get pregnant.He was the only buck running with the does at the time and they also had babies in July. After he impregnated them, we put him up with the other bucks. Believing my husband that this dam could not get pregnant, i didn't put her up. Now we have a baby we may not be able to register. She had a buckling who died minutes after birth. Has this ever happen to anyone?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Yes does can be bred while raising kids.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If your association thinks.... a Doe cannot get preggo within 1 month... they are thinking wrong..... it takes a 5 month gestation and if they are fertile.... can indeed... get preggo in one months time...with kids nursing.. They are saying it is 6 months between kids right ? It is confusing as to why.... they are not registering that doe :scratch:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    the dates above are just a few days short of 6 months, gestation is 5 months - so that puts her getting pregnant within a months that she delivered at the latest - which, I personally, have not seen that happen, but that doesn't mean that it has (but I don't have any intact males in with the does either - so that could be why :) ) I have a few months after..... but not on my animals.

I also have heard of bucklings as young as 3 months getting the deed done ...

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    That is ridiculous that they won't register that.... Goats can breed within the first WEEK after kidding.... I don't know why the registry won't accept that?????? :(

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do know that ADGA goes by the 150 day pregnancy....my doe Penny as well as her sisters were given a herdname other than the breeder I got her from due to ADGA saying that the dam was bred a week before at the original breeders....anyhow, the dam was also bred at the new owners which is why there was a conflict in "due date"......

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    contact ADGA and tell them the details as you have written here.

8. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    If that doesnt work out for you, I know its pricey for something that is otherwise unneeded but you could always pay the $40 for a blood test they offer to prove it. I would hope that would be proof enough.

Sorry this happened to you, I would indeed say its uncommon but it surely has happened to a few people.

9. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    I still have not contacted them cause I wanted to see what AGS would do. Well, I got her registry from AGS yesterday. My husband said I should send ADGA a copy of that registration. She was well over her 150 days. I counted and it was 175. Thanks alot guys...i'm gonna fight this.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I honestly am pretty sick and tired of ADGA and it's "rules".

I agree with others... it is completely ridiculous they won't register this kid. It is entirely possible for a doe to get pregnant again within weeks after giving birth. What you can do is to send in her AGS papers along with an ADGA application and they SHOULD register the kid. Just make sure you write a note saying you want the AGS papers back! I have heard sometimes they won't return them if you don't tell them!

11. MrKamir

MrKamir New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    texas
    We got her registered paper about a week ago from ADGA after sending them a letter explaining all the things you guys told me above and I also sent them a copy of her AGS paper. Thank you guys. I appreciate the help.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Aww...you are very welcome..... Congrats.... :thumb: :cool: :leap: