The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came up in another thread, and rather than hijacking that thread, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Slightly controversial, but a subject I'd like to discuss and get different opinions on.

Amount of "brisket" desirable on a Boer Goat. I'm referring to the brisket bone protruding forward of the legs in a profile view (heavy fronted) vs being even with the legs (clean fronted).

In my opinion...clean fronted is most attractive with the neck coming straight up out of the shoulder. Not to be confused with base width.

I believe a Boer should be wide based and pulled apart in their skeleton (seen while in front of the Goat). If the rib shape is correct, the shoulders will lay in correctly, the skeleton will be pulled apart, the chest will be wide, and the legs will be square out it's corners, toes pointing forward.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I prefer a cleaner fronted goat. It needs to have some meat and width there but not too much or else they get sloppy and unbalanced. In every animal, no.matter the type, you want balance.

·
166 Posts
I like the big chested wide front ended goats but they look better when they are smooth and clean so like tighter not loose if that makes sense

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Administrator
84,733 Posts
More brisket and less brisket yes, that is it.

It all depends on the judge. All can be different.

If it is a wether judge, they don't like the big brisket at all.

All goats have different brisket sizes and widths in the chest. So, it is really about each goat and how they are put together. I think a nice brisket on a breeding buck is nice. Different tastes and preferences.
Know what the judge likes before you go to the show. Look at the winners, under his/her judgment, then you will know.;)

The goat has to be well put together and not have too much brisket, that over powers the rest of the goat.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I like that answer! Depends on the goat and judge

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I agree but how much brisket isn't really in the Boer standard. There are certain things that are subjective. Like teat structure. Some prefer 1x1 and others 2x2... if two goats are equal a judge could use that to break ties

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I want to know is what the judge wants/likes. ;)
Is this what you mean by more brisket, BCG?

http://www.sunshineboergoats.com/images/Game%20On%201.jpg

And this clean fronted/less brisket?

http://bvboergoats.com/bucks/2DOX%20CUGER.html

That "Game On" buck wins nearly every time he's shown and his Daddy has the same chest, so I don't know. In my own herd, does that have more brisket don't have as wide a chest floor.
Yes. Good examples. Thank you. And I agree with the fact that it just depends judge to judge.

Out here in Oregon, we seem to get a lot of judges that want goats with more brisket. While that may be standard in dairy goats, I'm getting tired of hearing it about my Boers. One lady judging a 4h show actually stopped the show and came over to me at the edge of the ring to "explain" that my goats will not be able to walk properly without a brisket that extended at least 4 inches beyond the front legs. She also told me that they needed to be deeper in their chest floor in order to develop a rack. Huh???? That lady needs to go back to conformation school. LOL! Days like these really make me appreciate all the good evaluators out there.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
I'm on the diary goat side but I don't like huge briskets. A bit is good but allot looks weird to me. I like it to flow with the front of the shoulder maybe a little in front and below but not when you have it a few inches past the fore of the shoulder when looking from the side. I like it slightly rounded not like a square.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I love the look of a strong brisket, but I'm not sure what serves the better purpose for the goat. I like to know how to improve the breed by what is best for them, not just what I like visually.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I don't really care for a huge brisket either, but I agree with ThreeHavens on wanting to improve the breed..if big briskets make a more functional animal..then I'll just have to get over not liking them. I personally like it to be strong, but smoothly blending into the neck. Not boxy or fat looking like I've seen some does. Although I think the pronounced brisket looks good on Nigies, so maybe I'm just crazy!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Back to the funtioning purpose of a brisket.
A goat needs depth of brisket and width; they need a comfortable place to store the heart and lungs, important organs to help sustain many years to come, you want a goat that's deep and wide into chest floor with moderate strength of brisket . A goat's front legs and shoulders shouldn't be growing straight out of its neck, in my opinion, as there is a funtion for the brisket, and I was taught a moderate brisket is what you look for as far as briskets go.
In dairy goats anyway, meat goats are judged differently, look for a goat with a moderate brisket.

My :2cents:, there if you want it, take it or leave it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thank you Little Bits n Pieces :) I've never really known what the brisket was for..I just thought it was something for pretty show goats. It makes sense that I actually has a purpose.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back to the funtioning purpose of a brisket.
A goat needs depth of brisket and width; they need a comfortable place to store the heart and lungs, important organs to help sustain many years to come, you want a goat that's deep and wide into chest floor with moderate strength of brisket . A goat's front legs and shoulders shouldn't be growing straight out of its neck, in my opinion, as there is a funtion for the brisket, and I was taught a moderate brisket is what you look for as far as briskets go.
In dairy goats anyway, meat goats are judged differently, look for a goat with a moderate brisket.

My :2cents:, there if you want it, take it or leave it.
I'm sorry, but who ever taught you that was wrong. Organs do not rest in the brisket. The heart rests in the "heart girth" just below the point of the elbow.... in the rib cage. The lungs just above. As I stated in my opening statement, rib shape that is round and pulled apart gives these vital organs more than enough room and in turn, give the Goat more skeleton to develop a nice wide rack and chest. Now I do agree that if the Goat is to narrow and flat sided that the vitals may be crowded.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I know the heart and lungs are not IN the brisket, the brisket is adding to the capacity. As it is connecting to the sternum and rib cage. The organs can quite easily move, as they are attached by next to nothing. A skeleton is hollow, all throughout its hollow, more frame, more room for vital organs.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Does a large brisket allow them to take deeper breaths? I've noticed that my buck who is a tad narrow through the chest with little brisket seems to run more slowly than my two wethers who have a much wider chest and deeper brisket. I thought that the buck was slower because of his dangling jewels but if depth and brisket let them breathe more deeply it would make sense that he gets out of breath.

Granted, our run (and we do run!) back to the barn from pasture is about two football field lengths, but the wethers never seem out of breath.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts