The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this. Go figure, I was an animal science major in college, but at their farm, I don't recall doing anything in regards to goats (sheep, cows, pigs, and horses, yes, but not goats). Plus, that was over ten years ago, and I didn't exactly keep in practice with judging conformation (my husband went into the military, and we only decided to stop moving around in the last couple years).

I'd like to learn more about goat conformation. Any feedback and pros/cons about my doelings would be appreciated. If you know of any links that describe conformation (preferably with diagrams), I would definitely like to take a look at that.

I have some idea about what is conformationally going on as far as my doe is concerned (not the dam to either of the doelings, though from similar bloodlines), as we were discussing her conformation when I took her to be bred with the buck.

Ruby is the reddish brown doeling, and she is four months and a week old. Tulip is the black and tan doeling, and she is five months old.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
They are pretty similar in their conformation. They both stand downhill, instead of level (at least) or uphill (preferably).
Rear leg angulation is about the same. Not posty, but not super angular, either.
The black doe seems to have more brisket than the other one.
I would like to see more width from both of them.
Feet, legs, and toes look good.
Rumps are steep.
Overall, I think I like the black doe a little better, but it looks like maybe a coper supplement would help.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would actually expect them to be a tad similar in build, as they have the same sire, just different dams. Ruby's dam is a proven milker (at least 4-5 years old), and Tulip's dam is a first freshener.

Yes, Tulip is a bit more solid than Ruby, and has been since we got them. I posted another thread in health and wellness about deficiency since Tulip is a bit reddish on her legs (with the doe and Ruby's colors, you cannot spot that so easy, but Tulip is easier to check out). I would suspect copper if there is a deficiency, since we are definitely in the low copper regions here (found one of those mineral deficiency maps).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts