The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I am having a heck of a time understanding the ADGA guide on tattooing my goats. I was assigned my tattoo GB57, which is all well and good, but then the guide talks about assigning tattoos based on year and birth order. I believe their example was M for 2020 and 1,2,3 for order of birth. M1, M2, M3, etc.

My question is, do I add M1 in addition to GB57, to make GB57M1? Or are they separated by each ear? GB57 in one, M1 in the other? They do not make it easy to understand.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!!!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Also note when they say left and right. It’s the goat’s left and right. I’ve seen ppl make that mistake before.

·
8,171 Posts
When you tattoo, it helps to clip the hair out of the ear, wipe it well with an alcohol wipe to get any grease or dirt off. I like to apply the tattoo, then rub the green ink in with a soft toothbrush and then my gloved finger. Adding baking soda helps to "set" the tattoo ink in the little holes.

When you do that initial clamp with the tattoo pliers, squeeze as hard as you can- one time. If it bleeds, wipe the blood away with alcohol wipe before you apply the ink. It gets easier with practice- but it's still messy! The green ink will wash off with baby wipes, but don't touch the ears, they need to heal. Your baby will get ink everywhere! :nod:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Aren't tattoos hard to see, especially on darker skinned stock? Can I use ear tags instead?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Aren't tattoos hard to see, especially on darker skinned stock? Can I use ear tags instead?
Use green ink. It's much easier to read. You can't use ear tags for ADGA goats, they have to have tattoos on either the ears or tail. Other goats not registered with a dairy registry like the ADGA can have ear tags if you prefer. Remember though, ear tags can come/rip out. Tattoos stay on them and if they fade to be unreadable (doesn't always happen) you can do it again and it lasts a long time. If a tattoo is hard to read clean it with baby wipes and shine a flashlight on the ear. They do this to check tattoos at shows.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Use green ink. It's much easier to read. You can't use ear tags for ADGA goats, they have to have tattoos on either the ears or tail. Other goats not registered with a dairy registry like the ADGA can have ear tags if you prefer. Remember though, ear tags can come/rip out. Tattoos stay on them and if they fade to be unreadable (doesn't always happen) you can do it again and it lasts a long time. If a tattoo is hard to read clean it with baby wipes and shine a flashlight on the ear. They do this to check tattoos at shows.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts