The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just told that I should wait 45 days after worming to breed. Is this true? I was also told that everyone should be wormed at least twice a year, in the fall, and in the spring wether they need it or not. Is this also true? I was just going by how pink/red their eyelids were, and if I think something was off I would just get a fecal... How do you worm your herd?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
According to what I've read, you do not need to wait 45 days to breed following worming. No, it is not true that you need to worm 2X/year regardless of whether they need it or not. Worming every 3 months, 4 months, or 6 months whether they need it or not is what has lead to the deworming products currently on the market being ineffective and the worms becoming resistant to them. Be advised that FAMACHA is a means of monitoring your herd for Barber Pole Worms ONLY!

http://www.vet.utk.edu/departments/LACS/pdf/FAMACHA.pdf

·
Rose Creek Acres
376 Posts
Where does one get fecals done? I will have a rather large herd, and we don't really have a vet that knows much on goats. If we need one, we call the large animal vet. Anyway, is it something I can do myself, or do I need the fancy equipment? Can I take it to a small animal vet and say does this have worms? HAHA. Really though. ;)

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
Be advised that FAMACHA is a means of monitoring your herd for Barber Pole Worms ONLY!
The famacha chart measures Anemia...Barpole worms are one cause but any heavy worm load will cause anemia..even lice can make a goat anemic..the bad thing about using the chart as your primary indicator is by the time your goats shows anemia, worm load is heavy..it is a good idea to consider the whole goat,
is her fur Coarse?
is she loosing weight?
lethargic
has her appitite dwindled..
is she pooping granades or had diarrah

Its good to have fecals done when ever you question a goats condition, or quarterly if you can...Best idea ever is to learn to do your own..:D save time and money..
Its never a good idea to worm without do cause...

here on our farm, do cause is .. worm load obviouly but also any time Big stressors are present such as *before breeding, *before one leaves the farm, *A new goat coming in and *right after kidding...even an injury or illness can trigger worm load..many times a fecal can save from one worming unnessarly, not every goat stressed will get wormy..this is only a guide we use

1 - 8 of 8 Posts