The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have an issue with 3 of my 10 does. These 3 are going through standing heat - each are ten months old.

Background:
I have a 12 month old wether and a 71/2 month old Pygmy Buck. The Pygmy is much smaller than the wether. The wether is dominating him and ramming him away from does.

The wether has been with the does (aged 12 months to three years old) for 12 months - none have ever fallen pregnant to him.

My problem:
My problem is that I am ready to start breeding. I have put my buck in with the girls. The three year old who has kidded in the past was instantly attracted to the buck. They successfully joined a number of times.

The 3 younger does are only interested in the wether. I have separated the wether from the does. Despite the bucks best efforts, they are calling to the wether.

My bucks not overly smelly yet - but the wether is not smelly at all.

My question:
Are the does just confused as they are inexperienced?
Is my buck still too young?
When do you think they will work it out?

I’m just as confused as my young does at the moment!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the does see the wether? I would get him out of sight.
Thank you for your reply.
They cannot see him, but unfortunately they can hear him.
I put him inside the overnight shelter with some chaff then put does in back paddock with buck. The wether went nuts (is very bonded to his twin sister) which meant the 3 confused does could still hear him.
My husband wants me to get rid of the wether. But he and his twin were my first miniature goats so I'm desperate for another answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the next few weeks I am getting another buck.

My plan is to have all three (the two bucks and the wether) in a buck paddock.

I will then selectively breed, putting one buck with the girl(s) and leaving a buck and wether together for company.

They will still be able to see each other through the fence as I cannot set them up any other way. My paddocks are all dog proof mesh fences with a barb line on top. The buck paddock will also be electric fenced to avoid fence matings/escapees.

I’m hoping the girls will come to their senses when my buck matures?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
if the wether is dominant and the buck is not overly excited about the girls, they will see the dominant wether as the dominant buck, at least for this year, my Boer buck was submissive and passive his first year as well, when he matures it will be a different story, bucks almost always dominate wethers, just think about what they would do in the wild, the does will always go for the biggest, strongest, dominant male, just be patient, next year will be better, my Boer now has many kids under his belt at 5 years, but not 1 his first year
:hug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts