The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 days ago I saw Sam breed JJ. Now today he bred her again. She stood for him both days. They are both nubian. I thought once they bred they were done? Or is her heat just several days long?

·
8,161 Posts
Sometimes they will stay in heat for 2 days. If the doe is willing, the buck can breed her numerous times!
Occasionally, a doe will be receptive days later even if you are sure she is bred. They sure can be confusing critters!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
A doe will stand for a buck as long as she is in standing heat, and that can last for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I am sure he was successful. I saw penetration multiple times. This is my first time using my own buck so sorry for being a little dumb.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said. As long as she's in heat she will stand. I just went through this today. I brought my first doe, whose cycle I have had trouble tracking to see the buck and she told him to get away. I brought in another doe and she stood and let him breed her.

I've been going through the same learning experience lately so don't think your the only one! lol

·
Registered
979 Posts
I hear you on the confusion. I bred 2 does yesterday...put them in with the buck and they stood for several good breedings (doe hunched, buck threw his head back), then INSTANT personality changesi n the does who started acting bucking, trying to mount the buck, then pounding eachother hard until I took them out...all in a matter of minutes. Thought about putting them in one more time later just to be sure and they were sooo done with him. So atypical for my...usually they will hang out for at least a couple hours if not a day or two when in heat...but these does were in, out & done....lol. Goats....

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Don't know if this is the case with equestrian, but if the presence of the buck is new, does can sometimes have what they call a five day heat. They come in and breed and then come right back in heat again. One time at my farm, the five day heat was really a two day heat. Ha. Anyway, just be glad they are coming in heat like they are supposed to. If they are in heat, let the buck breed them. Write down all the dates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts