The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the girls are at the breeders again. I'm marking the dates they where with the bucks and the estimate gestation period for each on the calendar. This will be one of the girls 3rd breeding and the others 2nd. I'm keeping track of all just to be sure.

I've been reading on Fias Co Farm the Healthcare schedule and I'm not sure when to give the girls the vitamins & vaccinations. Do I start 5 weeks before their first breeding date? If so, how will that effect them if they don't kid by that date?
http://www.fiascofarm.com/goats/vac-schedule.htm

I personally think the 2nd breeding for the one and 1st breeding for other are the ones that took, but of course who knows with these silly complicated animals ;)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
14,773 Posts
OK from my understanding the whole reason for the per breeding vac. Is because breeding can be a time of stress ....they have boys chasing them some like yours are moved to be bred and so on......so when times of stress their as well as ours is not fighting sickness as well. So to answer your question I don't think it has much to do with the kids them self's. Now for the vac. That are given a month before kidding that is used to pass onto the kids.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So to answer your question I don't think it has much to do with the kids them self's. Now for the vac. That are given a month before kidding that is used to pass onto the kids.
OK, so if a doe is given a vaccine a month before kidding, in this case, her first breeding date, how does that effect the kids with benefitting from it if she doesn't kid until her 3rd breeding date? That can be almost a 2 months difference.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What vacs are you speaking of?
Generally speaking, if a doe gets her CDT about a month before kidding, some of the antibodies are passed onto kids.
Correct, SO what happens when I give it to her a month before her 1st breeding date and she doesn't have the kids until a later breeding date? Does it still pass on to the kids? Is there a danger to give her the vaccine to early in pregnancy thinking she was farther a long than what she was?

·
Super Moderator
14,773 Posts
I end up every year with a few does with 2 due date and around a month apart. If you know what to look for in bag and vagina you can usually tell if they are a month from kidding or 2 months. Ff are a little harder for me so i go ahead and do the shots a month before their so called first due date. If they don't kid by then then I usually do another round. If you think disagree with this way......some do then I'm sure even if they end up kidding 2 months after that the kids will still end up with some goodness maybe not as strong but really your call.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I end up every year with a few does with 2 due date and around a month apart. If you know what to look for in bag and vagina you can usually tell if they are a month from kidding or 2 months. Ff are a little harder for me so i go ahead and do the shots a month before their so called first due date. If they don't kid by then then I usually do another round. If you think disagree with this way......some do then I'm sure even if they end up kidding 2 months after that the kids will still end up with some goodness maybe not as strong but really your call.
Yep, they are first timers, and so am I. Been fun figuring out their breeding cycles (hence the frequent breeding) ;) thanks for the helpful feedback!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.