The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boy Archie has developed congestion and a snotty nose.
He sneezes and mucous is visible . He eats acts normal , pees and poops normal. Can't say about the temp , haven't taken it yet, came back to the house to get thermometer , so I figured I would post the thread to see what of guys think . He seems a bit quieter , not yelling like Pebbles will when they see me coming towards the barn and paddocks. But otherwise his normal self.
Another thing I'm worried about is his paddock is next to my pregnant does so Im concerned they cold catch something as well. I thought I heard one of them coughing and it was a little bit congested sounding.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :)

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Temp is a bit high, I think pneumonia is a possibility.

Strange question to ask, what color is his snot? From what I've read, clear snot is allergies, green snot can be cud, yellow can be pneumonia. Of course there are always exceptions.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
yep that is high....begin antibiotics...b complex and bananmine...whip up a bucket of electros to help keep him hydrtated...

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
I would give everyone in question a quick check up...temps, eyes and a listen..catch it quick ends it quick ;)

best wishes...

·
Registered
458 Posts
I would start by giving him an injection of LA 200. This will normally help with any type of cold or anything of that nature. You can also give him B Complex and electrolytes to help boost his immune system. If you don't have any electrolyte solution you can put a little Gatorade in his water.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys . Vet suggested a shot of Draxxin and repeat in three days.
Im looking up the dosage now. I have to weigh him and I cant find my tape ! Great :(

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im also going to hit him with the electrolytes too. I guess the BComplex cant hurt either .

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
the crazy weather does make them more likely to get pneumonia. our vet gave them braxen(not sure that spelled right) but i think la 200would have been just as good, and alot cheaper!

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Trickyroo..Im concerned every time I read about giving antibiotics other than daily..goats metabilism is so fast...I think I would give Nuflor instead and give it once a day for five days...3 cc per 100# I give my kids 1 cc

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
This crazy weather is really something, I hate what it does to our poor goaties. Prayers for your little buddy! And for you, I know I just abhor when any of my goats are under the weather. :( :hug:

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have only Draxxin right now.
I'm going to pick up Banamine too.
This weather is crazy.
Prayers would be great right now.
I know I've been praying daily keeping The Man upstairs busy.
It's been that sort is month.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
no worries Tricky..He loves to bekept busy :angel:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
For mine, it took a final dose of Draxxin to get rid of the pneumonia after several doses of Nuflor and two doses of something else from the vet that I can't rembember right now. The vet said Draxxin is time release and lasts for up to 5 days. She also gave mine Dexamethasone (steroid) for inflammation with the Draxxin.

·
2,203 Posts
I agree with Draxxin. I prefer it over Nuflor myself. I give three doses in a week. Every other day instead of every three.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Nuflor has worked great here...: ) Its good to know what works for you and stick to it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts