The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little doe that had a baby a couple weeks ago has a a big tight and kind of hard udder on one side. It's not red or hot. Baby has only been nursing from one side I think. I tried to get a picture of it but it was impossible to hold her and take a pic. She isn't completely tame. However I did find a pic that looks just like hers. What do I need to do?

image-2578157462.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is the problem with single babies. You will need to keep her caught up and milk out the one side if you want to keep the udder even, otherwise her udder will be lopsided. If you don't care and want it to dry up then just milk out enough to keep it from getting too hard and possibly mastitis bound.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm use to them getting a little lopsided but it looks painful and very tight. Do I milk it all out or just a little?

·
2,203 Posts
I would milk it all out. If baby already prefers the left side, normally she'll stay on the left side. You can tape opposite teats every 12 hours if you wish, or take the milk from the left side say at 8am, then take the milk from the right side at 8pm (12 hours). Kinda up to you.

I've had all three methods work well:
Milking the big side 1x/2xD
Taping
Switch Milking

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you plan on milking her? If you do, then I would be milking it out twice a day.
No I don't want to milk her if I don't have to . She is my smallest pygmy and pretty wild . The only way I can get my hands on her is to grab her while she is eating. I managed to catch her and milk the side down to relieve the pressure. It sure wasn't the easiest thing to do with her jumping around and kicking and screaming like I was killing her. She managed to hit me in the mouth with her horns so milking her is certainly not something I want to do if I don't absolutely have to. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts