The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading about CU, Mastitis, and when kids get too rough trying to encourage the milk to let down...
What I'm learning:
1- When the kids get rough there can be blood in the milk.
2- Mastitis makes the milk taste bad.
Both of these seem pretty obvious.. But what about CU?
Does it make the milk taste bad? Can you drink the milk you get when you're milking & massaging the udder to clear up the congestion??
Thanks!

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
The inside of the udder has divisions that to me look like sea weed lol..layers and layers of fiborous material...How I understand it is, when those get inflamed milk gets trapped...Gently messaging the udder helps release the milk and when the milk is set free the inflammation decreases,...patients is needed. That hard mass takes time to come down...
I use coconut oil whipped with added Vit E gel and peppermint ess. oil as my udder balm...message and gently knead the udder several times a day, milking as you collect freed milk...this milk, as long as it is free of infection can be used, it will not taste bad...If the udder is super bad..it might be unconfortable at first for your goat to be handled...work through this as gently as you can..once she has relief she will be more cooperative.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts