congested udder ?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by rgbdab, Apr 24, 2009.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    I want to massage one of my does udder with peppermint oil, but I'm not sure what "carrier" oil to use. I have peanut oil, canola oil and mineral oil.
    What would be best?
    Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!

Denise

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The mineral oil won't get "sticky" the way the veggie based oils will......I hope she is better for you soon and what makes you feel it is congested udder? Just curious as I've not dealt with it before.

3. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the reply, so mineral oil would be good?

I am no expert, but I think it may be congested because it is huge, but I can't get out hardly any. It isn't warm but there is a spot abot the size of a quarter that seems rather firm.
    She has kids on her and they seem to be getting plenty of milk but I figure it can't hurt to massage it with a little peppermint oil.
    I raise boers and usually they don't have really large bags like this one does so I am probably being overly concerned.

Thanks again,
    Denise

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So this doe is a dairy doe? How old are the kids?

Just to sort of clarify here...I notice with my Nigi doe, when she is about 2-3 weeks fresh and I start to milk 1x a day, her udder does not "go empty" I get a good deal of milk from her while she still feeds her babies but the mammary glands are "bigger" and fill her udder more than when she is not nursing kids....could be because they are constantly nursing and the demand is so great that the glands enlarge to meet the demand :shrug: After the kids leave and I milk 2x a day, the glandular tissue goes down in size.....and she still gives 2+ quarts a day.

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    Liz, thanks for your reply. No she is a boer and I know nothing about milking, but would love your insight.

The story is she is a FF and she kidded 2 days ago with twins. I am not used to my does getting huge bags before kidding but this girl got big a month before kidding and is the size of a large cantaloup. I noticed that the kids were full and content and her bag was still just as big so I decided to milk her and save it for sometime a kid might need it just to make her more comfortable. I was only able to get a couple of ounces which seemed odd to me. So I posted about her and was advised to massage her udder and wash with warm water, even sing to her so I got very zen before I tried the next time and she was more relaxed, but still only got a few drops, so I thought, well maybe that isn't all milk in there, maybe it's congested, which I think means swelling.
    Any help or advice would be great.

Denise

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    When its congested you can really tell, it won't be soft at all and you won't hardly be able to get any milk out of it.

I've noticed that most of my FF does have slight edema(swelling of hte mammary glands) after they kid. Usually their udder feels 'fluidy' like there's something in it but you can't empty her. It is also possible that she is holding her milk back, which i have several does that do that and it drives me nuts :roll:

You can use hand lotion to mix with your peppermint oil :wink: Be sure to keep it off her teats since the kids are nursing and massage it in really good. You can also use eucalyptus oil, which doesn't burn as much as peppermint but still has similar effects.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Maybe that is why Claribelle looks like she still has a full udder but I can't get much more milk out of her?? She is a FF. Hmmm. I was really, really hoping it wasn't that she had a meaty udder. . . How long would that last?

Sorry to ask questions on your thread, Denise. . . hope it's okay!