Congested udder?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Maureen, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Our doe with 4 week old kids has, what I am discovering by reading up on, is, we assume, a congested udder. I've searched some old forum posts for advice but it isn't clearing up.
    She looks "full", her bag is very hard. The bucklings look like they're getting "enough" and she'll milk out about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart AM and PM for me before her nipples just go flat and NOTHING comes out. But the bag is still clearly full looking, one side more so than the other. Its also lumpy, looks like she has cellulite!

I've been massaging her udder four times a day, yesterday & today, with hot water compress and peppermint oil. No real change from Thursday evening when I realized that something wasn't right.

I do not understand what the link between this & CAE is but, for what its worth, she was tested negative for CAE 60 days ago.

:confused:

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    sounds like you are doing everything right...I had to message until my arms felt like noodles...
    I use whipped coconut oil and add vit e and peppermint EO as my balm
    Warm compresses for 5-10 minutes then message message message, milk milk milk.repeat...I would go at least 30-40 minutes...3-4 times a day...Vit C chewables help too...also some feel fresh Parsley helps..although I haven't tried it ..
    The messages need to be deep but gentle, bouncing like the kids do....dont bruise her lol..keep it up and you will help her and she will feel tons better : )

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you tested her for mastitis?

4. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Thanks -

I do not have any mastitis tests, yet, but I did do the half cup warm water, a couple drops of dish soap and a half cup of milk test. If that is actually accurate...? Wasn't slimy.

5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like you need to keep doing what you are doing. I wonder if using Vicks Vaporub would work better. I remember reading someone suggesting using that on another thread.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you could add Eucalyptus Ess Oil to the coconut cream..I also tried Lavender Ess Oil in it...

7. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Ugggghhhhh.... this isn't getting better. How long can we be congested before it screws up her milk production for this year? Or becomes a problem and needs veterinary attention? I am not sure if the kids are getting enough but their tummys feel pretty full, they still seem happy.

It went from being able to get some milk out to larger, lumpier and getting maybe 6 squirts from each udder. This morning I thought we'd gotten somewhere when a cup or so broke loose but it was worse again this afternoon and larger yet with still nothing really happening this evening. I massage 4 times a day for about a half hour using peppermint oil or eucalyptus or vicks vapor rub or a salve and some oils for circulation etc... poor doe.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Poor baby....you should test her for mastitis just to rule it out...are you getting milk or lumps? if lumps what do they look like?

9. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    I am getting milk, but the udder itself is hard and lumpy. The milk that manages to squeeze out is fine.

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    we need to test for mastitis on that one side...I heard you can use blue dawn if you don't have a California Mastitis Test.... Ill look that up for you...continue to message and try to get that side milked out...I bet she is miserable...ill get back with you on the dawn dish soap idea : )

11. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan

I did do a "home" test for mastitis yesterday. Tested each side. I put 1/2 cup of warm water & a couple drops of dawn in the cup, added 1/2 cup of milk and mixed. Neither side felt thick, slimy or anything different that I expected.

I am just about to head out and massage her/milk her again so I'll try mixing just milk & dawn like this link you posted and test her again.

Can anyone tell me if these work well? Because that is what I ordered, not here yet.

http://www.jefferspet.com/mastitis-indicators/camid/liv/cp/D1-M2/

This is the doe that we have been watching for CL (her sister had an abscess that burst in their stall) I keep seeing CAE can cause this, what about CL? She is just now 45 days from her last negative test, so we are going to send another test in this week.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Yes, you can use those for suspected mastitis. Have you taken her temp? I would start there. Is it hard to get the milk out? Any blood or "stuff" in the milk? If the kids look good they probably are...but...I would offer them a bottle and see if they are interested.

13. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    CAE can but CL wont cause congested udder..She must have a very stubborn udder...lol..if she is negative for mastitis then keep focusing on it being congested and work hard At it...Has she need tested for CAE?

14. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    OK So I tried the second soap test, I thought for a second the really congested side was getting slimy but I think it was just whatever was on my finger, re-tried it a few times and nothing every came up slimy, thick, didn't stay on my finger any more than milk normally would.

Took her temp. Both yesterday and today it was 102*

This is the udder when I start milking -
    [​IMG]

This is the udder anywhere from 10 squirts to a couple cups later -
    [​IMG]

Her teats just deflate and no more milk passes through. No matter how much I try, I'll usually massage for 20 minutes beyond this point and nothing happens. :(

15. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Also - She was tested for CAE 60 days ago. Since then the only goats we have brought on the farm have been CAE neg and they have been kept VERY separate from her because we still haven't gotten the second neg on CL from this doe. So she should be CAE free and not needing testing.

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    ok.no CAE ( thats great :D) No Mastitis ( that good :)) but wow that udder looks odd...very lumpy...so my next question is ...is she a FF? If not I would contact previous owner to get some history...looks to me she might have had Mastitis before or some kind of infection and now has scar tissue...but if she is a FF that would not fit unless she got hit real hard in the udder area causing scar tissue..??

17. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    Isn't it the craziest thing?! Like I just said in another post "I swear, if it can happen to goats it happens here. I really am not having goat luck with goats." Its been one thing after another. I haven't even had goats for 9 months yet! Lice, respiratory infection, bloat, leg injury, CL with the amazing never healing abscess near the birth route for kids leaving us to opt to shooting and c-sectioning our doe but not after the abscess ruptured in the barn, the barn that is now flooded and the water from the infected stall is traveling everywhere... Annabelle had a normal delivery but had one kid that just wouldn't stay awake for three days, one day just woke up and has been good ever since. Blood in the milk, a buckling that is constantly bloating, now this. I'm sure I left out a few things. I honestly would have been lost if I hadn't found this forum. Although I don't know how much longer I'll be keeping goats, this is all getting very old. Now that I have 8 goats and $500 worth of veterinary supplies since apparently, all these things do is try to die... :rolleyes:

Anyways, I bought Annabelle last June, in milk. She had just weaned her first kids when we bought her. She is three years old, second freshening. Her kids are just shy of 4 weeks old now. Everything was normal for the first 2.5 weeks. I started to milk her out to help since she was making so much milk, noticed that you couldn't milk her "all the way" out but I was leaving a little for the babies and I kind of thought that she was doing the same. Up until last week when her udder rapidly started to become this. I did some online research and started treating it as a congested udder, because, why WOULDNT she up and have a congested udder, she lives here, its a given ;) but when it didn't help I made this post to see if I was doing something wrong and get some more opinions, now here we are!

So she hasn't been injured unless she some how did this herself in the stall with her kids between weeks 2 & 3 of their existence. Her udder was beautiful last year. No scar tissue or anything goofy like this. She was smooth, super easy to milk out, milked all the way out, dried off easy, everything has been un-eventful. This just popped up.

I thought lumpy was normal for congested udders? I thought that was what I was trying to massage out? Its as hard as a rock and feels very lumpy, the pictures hardly do it justice. Thanks for your thoughts.

18. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    You have had it hard.....Kudos for hanging in there...
    in my experience, congested udders are smooth but very hard.. I have not had a lumpy congested udder like the pix ...My Lilly had such a congested udder it felt like some one pour concrete in them! But it looked smooth...other than veins...took a good week to work them out and we still have to keep up with them...

Ok so she freshened last season beautifully...so what changed? Diet? Minerals? what other signs? fading color in coat, fish tail, illnesses? Im reaching here lol..I would also go ahead and get an actual CMT and re test her...just to be perfectly sure : ) Im going to read some stuff...its now a puzzle I must see through : )

19. Maureen

Maureen Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Michigan
    I will order the CMT tonight. Would mastitis make a lumpy looking udder? Her milk doesn't have any blood or lumps. Should I treat her with antibiodics anyhow? It feels like really inflamed tissue, if I had to guess. Antiinflammatory? Banamine? Baby aspirin? Try to reduce swelling? Feed did change from a mix I had made at the mill to kalmbachs 18% textured. She gets free choice hay, free choice or up to 2 quarts alfalfa cubes, 1.5 quarts feed (kalmbachs) per milking, so 3 quarts a day. No mineral change. The only change is her entirely different stall/quarantine until we get this cl test.