The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Banamine might help..,I would try...but only a few days..
I'm not sure if Mastitis would create a lumpy udder...
the inner udder to me is like rows of seaweed lol...those seed weed plant get inflamed and trap milk, congestion..some messaging and milking and repeating with good balm should help relieve the milk...the lumpiness maybe just her udder..the way it inflamed and nothing more..maybe the warm compresses, messages and banamine you can get her some relief...
I cant see the changes in her food being a problem, causing this.... Ill keep reading lol

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have banamine inject that we give to the horses as oral and paste, does it matter which one? Is a 100# dose good for a 100# goat or do you have to double it, circle a fire, stand on your head and do a little dance like you do with horse de-wormer to a goat? LOL

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
lol..I use banamine injectable (FluMeglumine) 1 cc per 100#

I would assume the one for horses is the same..?? is it FluMeglumine?

I dont beleive the dance is necessary..but if it makes you feel better...do it LOL

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yes, thats the same with horses. Wow, something simple I can remember! :)

Got her some banamine, we'll see if that works. This evening I wasn't able to get more than a squirt from the worst side, the other side looked like it had a few pulls but I left it for the kids, who took care of that.

I'm kind of wondering if antibiotics wouldn't be a bad idea just incase? What is the treatment for mastitis?

Plus, this evening she has decided to look bloated. I have no idea if its related to what is going on, but she is definitely huge. Offered her some baking soda, she opted for alfalfa pellets. Shes acting fine but looks HUGE.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
My goats are a bit bloated too...we have a lot of fresh green growing..if she needs the baking soda and wont eat it free choice..put 1/4 teaspoon in enough water to drench her..as long as she is not acting in distress I would keep an eye on it
Mastitis takes an infused antibiotic called Today...its not injected but inserted into the teat..I would make sure she needs it first...as for injectable antibiotics..unless she has fever I would wait...since she doesnt act sick..

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK thanks!

Put an order in for Today, to have on hand. Mastitis indicators should be here Wednesday.

I'll just keep massaging my goat I guess, maybe the banamine will help us. Read that a Comfrey/Milk thistle tea could help reduce inflammation too. I'll try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
sounds promising..but how will get her to drink it ( hehe) Sounds like you got it together...I sure hope the banamine helps...she is one tough case

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Poor little goat. The banamine didn't make a difference one way or another.

Mastitis indicators came in the mail & they also did not show mastitis. Her temp is staying normal but she is starting to act like she doesn't feel well. She eats great but shes quiet, lays down a lot, looks painful.

I can typically get 1 quart AM, not much mid day, 1/2 quart PM from her but her udder is still huge, and growing, with little relief for her.

Have you ever heard of it taking so long to become un-congested? Or would you suspect something else?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
poor baby...Im sorry she is still not doing great. Have you tried a round of antibiotics? Nuflor once a day for 5-7 days ..see how it helps....Congested udder should have been cleared up by now..you have worked very hard on them...otherwise, since she is beginning to suffer from this, even a little, I might dry her up for her own health...and go from there...

The only reasons for hard udder I can think of is
congestion
CAE
injury
Mastisis..

I sure wish I could be more helpful

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have Tylan 200 and Penicillin.

I'm not sure how to go about drying her off. Her kids are 4.5 weeks old, for one. But the super congested side seems to be drying off. Her whole udder looks HUGE though, so I can't tell. I'm not sure how to dry her off, since I'm not exactly milking her out as it is, because I can't. More like taking the little bit that will come out which takes the pressure off for her. The picture above was taken after I got what I could out of her. So I'm not even sure how to dry her off. I'm just at a loss.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
I understand...its very frustrating.... I dont think tylan 200 or pen will help with this...could you ask a vet for Nuflor? cant remember your vet situation : )

if you decide to dry her off...begin by cutting her grain..and milking her once a day...when her production slows some...go every other day...and so forth until when you go out to milk her her bag is baggy...then stop..she will dry up from there..
for her babies...I would save the milk and begin to change the kids over to whole cows milk if you dont have other goats in mik..

·
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I can check with a vet for Nuflor.

We do have another goat producing milk but the bucklings don't seem at all interested in bottle feeding. And I have no where to separate them because none of them are guaranteed CL free so I cannot move her in with my does or the bucklings in with the other bottle babies and I have goats in 4 different pens right now, no more open space until a test from her comes back neg. So I guess I'll hope the Nuflor is the key and maybe that will help her? I wonder if it isn't a congested udder, maybe she injured herself somehow (not sure how as she is in a stall, separated from everyone but her kids) Its just crazy.

She has also gotten more bloated. Baking soda and bloat release hasn't helped. She doesn't have access to any new feed or grazing, since she is quarantined in the stall. Again, crazy. Only me :)

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
if she doesnt have much space to exercise..then she will bloat...You truly are between a rock and hard place...try the nuflor..its expensive ( cost me $98 a bottle)...but it worked with Paige...her one side did dry up and is not infected but the doe nursed freely from he good side...maybe this will happen here so you dont have to worry about bottle feeding..lets hope the nuflor clears this up..even if that side drys up..she can still nurse her kids..

·
Registered
626 Posts
we have a doe who has the same thing with the udder. You milk out a bunch but she looks like she still has more but her teats inflate. We are suspecting scar tissue becasue earlier this year her teats got over engorged and after a month or so of meds shes still the same but milks very well for one side being excellent and the other side alot tinier. She can produce about 3 pints from the big side. It was a really odd because her teats were crusty (witch i know your doe doesnt have) but she will be retired this year sadly as a 2 yr old and live out her days in the pasture with the other girlys!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts