Congested udder

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frosty, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    Could someone explain to me exactly what a congested udder looks like and feels like to the touch. I am totally confused and want to be able to understand it better. thank you

2. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    In my experience, a congested udder is very hard/firm to the touch (my does’ udder was rock hard) it does not look different on the outside though. It is pretty difficult to get any milk out, and you need to milk 3-5 times a day, constantly massaging her udder during each milking.

3. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    thank you. then if its not all hard just like has a lump in it is that normal.

4. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Lumps in the udder/teats are not normal. Is it hard to the touch? When my doe had a couple hard lumps in her udder, I gave her a dose of Mastoblast (from Jeffers) 2x daily, and within a week it was all cleared up.

5. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    sorry to be a pest but what your saying when you massage or squeeze the bag it should all be soft no like masses in it. She is a ff and a accidental breeding and the only way I discovered she was pregnant was about a month ago felt a small bag on her. I have never seen one bag up like this she was that way the rest of her pregnancy til the day she delivered and her bag filled. She had one boy and he seems to be getting enough milk to survive but its like he has to fight for it and nurse often. He will be a week old tomorrow afternoon. If I order that stuff will it hurt him. thank you

6. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    you have to give the mama the treatment , then wait about 3 hours I think, then let the baby have at it. When you give it to mama, after it is in the bag, kinda massage the bag a little to mix in in good. Its not hard to do but you will need someone to help restrain her. I have only done it to cows but same on goats I'm sure. You do each tit.

7. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    All I did was give her the dose orally (dosing the same as you would a full grown cow). I didn’t massage her udder at all, and I didn’t restrict her from her buck kid either. I just made sure he kept her emptied out (she got the lumps because he wasn’t emptying her completely - he was 4 months old and had his mind on other things...). ;)

8. Goat_Scout

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    I don’t mind the questions at all. :)

Correct, there should be no hard masses/lumps in their udders. Udder texture varies with each doe (one may be firmer) but no hard lumps.

He will be fine, the doe I treated with Mastoblast had a 4 month old buckling on her, and I am sure that it won’t hurt nursing kids, no matter the age.

9. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Just for the record, Mastoblast is an oral medication for mastitis, not be to confused with the intermammary preparations like Today or Tomorrow, which get inserted into the teat canal and dispensed into the udder.

Some does will get blocked milk ducts in their udders. That feels like a small hard lump. If you massage it, the duct will become unblocked as the milk is released.

Goat_Scout likes this.
  10. Frosty

Frosty Active Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Swanzey,NH
    thank you everyone. I think I will order some and give it a try. First I will go out and check her again today and they order if the hardness is still there. Have a great day and thank you all for the help.