Congrats, Delilah on your new daughters! Birth story!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by FunnyRiverFarm, Mar 22, 2010.

1. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Okay, here's the story:

I had noticed that Delilah's udder was filling in more over the past couple of days so I knew she was getting close but her ligs were not softening yet and she had no discharge so I figured that maybe toward the middle/end of the week she'd be ready. I went outside to check on her around midnight and there were still no signs so I left her with Jezebelle and Benny and set my alarm for 6:00am.

At around 5:30am my husband--who was getting ready for work at the time--came in and said "I think one of the goats is in labor...she's being really loud"...I was like "WHAT?!?!" and came flying out of bed, grabed my jacket, a flash light, and some towels and ran out the door. When I got out there I saw Delilah on the ground thrashing her legs around. She stood up when she saw me and I could see something hanging out of her rear end. I walked around to get a better look and saw a HUGE head...and NO feet sticking out...CRAP! I knew that I was going to have to go in and try to rearrange things so I ran back to the house and washed my hands and told hubby I needed his help. When we got out there, I had him hold Delilah while I eased in around the kid's head. Both legs were back and this kid's shoulders were huge...there was not much wiggle room because she's a FF and I have large hands....so of course Delilah was screaming bloody murder (poor girl). I finally got the kid into a position that it could be pulled and it came out. I honestly thought it was dead at first because it was not responsive and after the tug o' war it just went through...I did not really expect it to live. But I swung it and starting cleaning it off anyway and then I heard a gasp! Yes! It was alive! By now Delilah was presenting another bubble but, unlike the first kid, this one just came shooting out. I grabbed it up into a towel and let Delilah start cleaning. Then my Husband and I took Delilah and her new babies to the kidding stall to finish drying and bonding and so I could dip the navels. Once they were settled in their stall I checked the babies rear ends and HOORAY! TWO GIRLS!

Delilah is being a good, attentive mommy and really loves her new babies. I do have a question that I am going to post in kidding corral though...

Anyway, I have to say that I am so thankful that my husband noticed there was something going on and was there to help me!

I know everyone's probably dying to see pic so here they are.The bigger girl that was born first is chocolate and white and the other is black and tan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    congrats!!! :leap: It sounds like she kidded exactly how my doe Violet did last week, a head and no feet...but anyway you did a great job!!! :hug:

Congrats again!! :stars:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    CONGRATULATIONS X 2!!!!
    Delilah did very well...you did too :stars:

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congrats on the doe kids. I'm Jealous!! lol :wahoo: :kidred: :kidred: :wahoo:

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Thanks! I am very surprised that I got doe kids because the buck they were bred to had been throwing mostly buck kids....so YAY for me!

6. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Aww, I am so glad you were there to help her out!! YAY for healthy babies and mama! :)

7. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Very cute! Congrats :leap:

8. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Congrats!! They are adorable.