considering a buck

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by drafthorsechick, Feb 5, 2008.

1. drafthorsechick

drafthorsechick New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Iowa
    Okay, with all of this goat shopping, I happened across an 11 month old LaMancha buck that has settled two does, and am considering him to use with my girls. My goal is to eventually have all registered LMs, but I'm starting out slow, I guess, with a recorded grade, a boer, and an unknown doe that I'm trying to get purchased and because of my situation won't be too fussy about breed. (Why am I using a boer? Because I found a beautiful painted boer that I just like to look at, the vet tech where I work wants all the doe kids I can raise for her, and I want to raise some pack goat wethers with the bone of the boer and the disposition of the LMs.)

Any thoughts on this guy from these pictures? I know he isn't show clipped or set up the best, but as I've said before, I'm pretty new to this so I'd love some of you gals with much more experience to give me your thoughts on him. Could you also please tell me what his faults are? I'm just trying to learn so it helps to not only hear the good things, but the problem areas as well.

What I see nice about him is he has nice depth of body, his legs are straight (the back one is cocked in the one picture, but I'm sure it's the way he's standing), he has a clean head, and a nice wide chest, especially since he's only 11 months old.

Also, temperment-wise, his owner says he has been through one rut and is a very good natured, well behaved boy--how are bucks to handle? If they have a good temperment will they stay that way, or do they all get kind of rank (er, in disposition, that is--I know they all *smell* rank!) I think it's a little funy that I'll handle a one ton Clyde stud without batting an eyelash, but get a little nervous about having a buck around that probably won't weigh 10% of that! :oops:

I guess it's all in what you know.

His owner says: "His dam got her *M as a yearling(milking bout 8lbs a day) so the milk production's there. His dam also scored LA 85 VVVV which includes Very good in Dairy Character." Okay--can someone tells me what that means?? Remember, I a little clueless just yet, but we all gotta start somewhere, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TIA for sharing your knowledge!

Therese

p.s. I like his color and his waddles--how superficial is that? :wink:

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    He's gorgous and has a wonderful lenth but personally as I don't show dairy I don't know much about judging them.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    85 VVVV is pretty good for a yearling. She got an overall average of 85. And she has a V(Very Good) in every category(General Appearance, Dairy Character, Body Capacity, and Mammary).

He looks pretty nice. His faults: He toes out slightly in the front legs when viewed from the front. He looks a bit weak in the rear pasterns, but he looks like he is pulling against the handler, so that might be why. His rear pasterns are a bit long, though. He also is a little short body wise, again could look short because he is pulling. His good points: He is level over the topline, straight front legs when viewed from the side. Good depth of body and he carries his width throughout. It is a bit hard to tell because he has his winter coat. Any pics of his dam and his sire's dam?

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

mom scored pretty well as a FF, but i would ask for pictures of his dam and grand dam before i purshcased him. From what i can see he is short bodied steep rumped a little posty and he toes out in the front. What i do like about him is he has a deep barrel is higher in the withers then the hips and has clean smoothe shoulders.
    beth

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I agree with Beth, get some pictures of his dam and granddam and see how they look. I think he is a little short in body, although tall, and his rump is a little short and steep. Do you know what his lines are? I will say, that with LaManchas, there are a TON of 'ugly' bucks, but some of the ugliest bucks have thrown the nicest daughters.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  7. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    Hey I like black and white. I like his front end and yes he appears to toe out. I don't like his rear end. He looks steep and short in the rump. Needs to be set up better in to really eval him. He is young. If you like his sire and dam I would probably get him.
    Sue

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sarah, it does look like him. If so his dam is gorgeous!

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
  11. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa