Considering dog breeding

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by goathappy, Oct 19, 2007.

1. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    redneck_acres is right. I always give mine atleast one heat cycle in between breedings. This time she has gotten 2 (male didn't breed her)and we haven't decided if we are going to breed her again or not. They would probably be ok... but I can't say for sure. You might want to try and keep them separate from the intact male you get, and I would definitely watch them closely the first time your female comes into heat.

2. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We used to raise German Shepherds and never did any testing or showing with them. A lot of the pups that we sold went for pets, but a few did go for breeding. Raising puppies is a lot of work. And a lot of the time, you only break out even. Never get into to dogs thinking you are going to make a profit. The one thing we hated about raising dogs is....some of the people that try to buy your dogs!! They want the pup to have everything, like tests and such, for cheap! They want everything for nothing. :x Ooo...really disliked the people that would call and try to get you to lower your price because the pups were too "old"(only 3 months!)! That's when you can really start training them. :roll: That stuff got old to us and we got into the goats and found out how much nicer the show people were and we were hooked! :D

Sarah, I am not trying to burst your bubble or anything, but expect some not very nice people when raising dogs. :roll: Trust me. Been there, done that! :p :wink:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have friends who raise German Shepherds as attack/guard dogs and competitive/show dogs. And they raise them RIGHT and make a profit. I also have friends who raise Cavelier (sp) King Charles Spaniels and they make a profit also. It is all in HOW you raise them, you have to do something different (such as raising them naturally) or have a REALLY good website..... and THE biggest thing is good pictures! Also with the small breeds most of the puppies are shipped.

4. PTCA

PTCA Guest

Oct 20, 2007
    After watching for past few days, I have to say that you have NO business breeding any dog.......much less a Patterdale Terrier, which is still considered a rare breed. They are a high energy dog with a very strong prey drive.

You have done no research.........a blog group is not the place.

Are you willing to keep the whole litter because you can't sell or even give them away?? I doubt it.

Are you willing to give a money back guarantee if it dosen't work out? No? Hmm...one more for the animal shelter. Are you willing to spend $500-$1000 on a c-section if something goes wrong???? Another $200-$300 on tails, dewclaws, worming and vaccinations???

GETTING YOUR MONEY BACK AND MAKING MONEY smacks of a Puppy Mill...........
    You'll make money investing in the stock market not breeding dogs.

Please, stay away from dog breeding and especially our Patterdales.

5. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    PTCA - You don't know she hasn't done the research. I think the way you said it was quite harsh and un-needed.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Umm, and I think you haven't read my previous posts good enough.
    In my first post, yes, I do sound a little blonde and arrogant saying that I could make money breeding these dogs.
    As I researched dog breeding in general(not necessarily breeding Patterdales, just in general) I realized that dog breeding probably wouldn't be my thing. I am not a person that buys or does things on impulse, I always research things thoroughly before I make a decision. Plus, it's not like something like this would happen tommorrow, or next week, or next month or even next year.
    I am not a mean person and I have a heart for animals. How do you know I wouldn't pay for all of those expenses? Do you just assume that I'm an irresponsible person without a heart? I paid almost $1000 to save my blue heeler, she had to have her toe amputated then got sick from some bad dog food. I paid almost $500 to save my main herdsire. I could have just been heartless and careless and just let them die but I didn't. I know a lot of people who would and I consider those people heartless.
    If that's the way you feel, that's fine and that's your opinion and this is mine.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    PTCA bashing of other members is NOT allowed on this forum, keep it peaceful or I will have to resort to dreastic measures. This is not my intention right now but I expect friendliness among my members and your first post being this way is not condusive for friendly behavior.

This is your one and final warning.