Considering eating bucklings

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by Bebop, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Bebop

Bebop New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Baumholder, Germany
    I'm actually having a hard time finding homes for a couple bucklings that I just got registered. I think it's just my location, too many established awesome ND breeders :p
    Anyway, I am considering just eating them. They're getting older, I would like to get more goats, but I can't have 2 more bucks running around. As much as I love them also, I'm not looking to have more pets.
    I knew that I would have to deal with the fact that not all my animals would find homes, and that many dairies sell their extra bucks for meat.
    What weight and age is good for a ND to be butchered? I feel kind of weird doing this to my first born kids, but this is basically what I signed up for.
    Thanks for any help!

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Wish I could help...never done it before, but I'd probably wait until a year old when they're nearly or fully grown with good weight to them that way you are getting enough meat off of them to be worth it. But like I said...never done it before. Some of the meat breeders will be able to give you better advice. ;)

There was a gal who contacted me not that long ago. She wanted a few does, but asked if it was ok that she would use any wether kids they produced to raise up for butchering. I think that's really great. If you can handle that, why not be self sufficient? As long as the animal lives a good life and is humanely slaughtered I think it's not a bad idea at all to use wethers (even nigerians) for your own consumption.

3. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ive heard of this also, bt normally you wait until they are older, so maybe you could wether these boys and then let them get bigger.....

4. quakingcanopy

quakingcanopy New Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree, very good idea for being self sufficient. When we raised goats we decided early on that if we have boys we couldn't sell we would whether, fatten them up (in a healthy manner) and give them the best life possible until 9-12 months, and then put them in the freezer. Our dogs are fed a raw diet, so it was a big consideration for additional raw bones for our dogs.

If you want to go through with it go a head and whether them so you don't have the hormones and smell. They will also get bigger. Research good meat diets too. If you find yourself not able to eat the meat yourself, find people who feed their dogs raw - they buy it readily!

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    We will be slaughtering all of our wethers, and slaughtered one last year at 10 months of age. He was small, 80 lbs, so it was more expensive per pound. Our butcher charges a flat rate slaughter fee and then a small amount per pound, so the bigger they are the cheaper it is per pound of meat. Some prefer to slaughter them at weaning age because the meat is then very tender. Some (like we will be doing) slaughter at a year old so the meat is still fairly tender but there's more of it. The meat gets tougher the older they get, but I hear it's still good ground or for sausage. Economically, the older they are the higher the feed bill so it would depend on if you have nice pasture grass (free) or will have to provide hay. Wethers don't need grain unless you just want to fatten them quicker. We plan to have ours born around february and then slaughter around december when I would start racking up a hay bill (and when the kids finish showing them in 4h.) We will also start slaughtering our own at home to save that slaughter fee. I guess the best age to slaughter is personal preference, all things considered. Hope this helps!

6. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I think this is a tough topic for most people.

We were discussing this and someone asked me "How could you - don't you care about them?" My response was that I care about them very much... so much so that it isn't worth the $25 I would get selling them on craigslist to not know what kind of home they would go to. I would rather give them a healthy and happy goat life for a year and then harvest them to feed my family meat that I know exactly what went into it then sell them for less than they are worth to just anyone that comes along.

It's a personal decision thats some people may or may not understand.

7. Froggy

Froggy New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm thinking about doing that this year with any buck-kids born. I was also wondering what's a good age/weight though---my yearling wether weighs 55-60lbs.
    I think maybe it might be better to raise them on pasture, and butcher before winter. Another thing...I've heard it isn't worth sending them to the slaughterhouse. We paid $150 for like 50pounds of meat. I'm trying to get the nerve up to butcher any goats my self.

8. Clear Crescent

Clear Crescent New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    We will be butchering any bucks (wethers) we get from our two Saanens this year (first kidding for us). My husband dresses deer he shoots during hunting season, and he will be doing the wethers for us also. I am not sure how big they will be at the one-year mark, which is near the time we will be butchering. Depending on how many girls we get this year to supplement our milking herd, we may breed to Boers next year to get a little more meat on the cross-bred kids.

9. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    We butcher our weathers out around 100lbs, that is when we had a smaller herd.

Now I'm looking at selling weathers at the Auctions.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Did you try craigslaist....to try to sell them.... also ..put up signs at the vets office...feed stores.... store billboards... ect...

11. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    in 4-H when you have market wethers they have to be under a year of age at the time you sell them. Market weight around here is 60-80 pounds i think.

12. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    We're talking specifically about butchering Nigerian Dwarf goats (I thought), so although all the Boer info is nice, it's not really relevant....

13. TinyHoovesRanch

Ya haha looks like this went from Nigis to Boers....

I know lots of friends that will eat the boys born from Nigis, by wethering and letting them grow, although they wont have as much meat, its still meat and I guess if you have alot it would be worth it...

14. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    I think the hardest part of butchering ND's would be the actual killing... I don't think I could do that, and it's not cost effective to take them to be butchered...

15. TinyHoovesRanch

Thats true....

You can always ask like a friend or someone to do it. I know my friends have boers and they do everything themselves, I would ask them if I ever decided to do that. But I wouldnt since im finding great homes for all my wethers...

16. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I would also be very intersted in this... but from the aspect of Nigerian Dwarf wethers... although my questions about the butcher should be average across the board right?

Does anyone have an idea of the cost of butchering? Do the butchers charge per lb? Is there a 'travel charge' from the butchers? I realize they will all be slightly different, but what's the 'norm' for a butcher???
    Not that I have any problems with selling the wethers, but I do like the idea of being more self-sufficient... and at some point the wethers might now sell as good and/or we may end up w/an extra market (boer) goat.

17. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    We just had our 2- 7 month old Nubian/Boer wethers butchered and it cost $25 for both at our local butcher shop.They quated $40 each but then after processing them the nice lady said since they were so small she couldn't charge me that.I got 25lbs of meat out of them.Just had a shoulder roast for supper in fact :laugh: The moment they were born we all knew what the purpose was for them but didn't stop us from giving them attention and all that.Nobody had a problem except my 5 yr old daughter went with me to the butcher to drop them off and she said aww mom that's not nice to kill our baby goaties :wink: She had no problem eating the meat though :slapfloor: My kids know it's the circle of life and I to would rather eat our extra bucks then have them in the hands of a neglectful owner.

18. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    You know with the price of so/so dog food being $42 per 33 lb bag at the moment... I've been thinking real hard about starting to feed raw..but the cost of raw wasn't any better...DUH.... I have like 40 kids born here a year.. I guess I could keep a few boys for that! :idea: sad that I didn't think of that myself... :doh: :slapfloor:

19. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I could only find two USDA butchers near here (within an hour) and they both quote a flat rate per goat. It is based on boers though and not smaller breeds. I talked to our pig farmers who use one of them and they recommended calling ahead and discussing the size difference with the NDGs. They thought they would give us a different rate based on the smaller size. We haven't called yet since we don't think they will be ready until end of April the earliest.

20. mydakota

mydakota New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I keep Boers for meat and Saanens for milk. We eat the wethers at 10 months to a year and do all the processing ourselves. (just had our first crop reach harvest age last year) We have found the meat to be very tender and delicious. I try really hard to utilize all that I can from my small goat herd. I milk all does (even the Boers) and we eat the Saanen wethers too. If I could figure out a practical use for the hides, then we would truly not be wasting anything. Our dogs eat the bones. I care very much what all my goats experience while alive. They are given tender loving care daily, and are dispatched as quickly and stress free as possible. I don't think it is wrong to utilize them to their full potential.