Considering getting goats

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by calendula, Mar 22, 2011.

1. calendula

calendula New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hi! I don't actually have any goats of my own yet, but my aunt and uncle do, and I just love them. I am considering getting some in the future, but I'm not sure where to start. We already have 3 chickens and 3 cats, and we love gardening, so it would be nice to incorporate goats as well. I found this forum while I was searching for information and thought it would be a good place to get info from experienced goat people. I want goats to keep as pets and for milk. So I am trying to figure out where to get them, what kind to get, and how much space I will need to raise them properly. Thanks! :wave:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well welcome to TGS :wave: Glad to have you hear.

Ask away on questions you may have and enjoy all the baby pictures being posted.

Do you know what breed you were thinking of getting?

3. nagismom

nagismom New Member

Sep 25, 2010
    northern ohio
    Welcome!! It's wonderful that you have an aunt and uncle that have goats and that you found the forum first. So, you have alot of people to ask questions of. I know a alot of people have goats in a converted shed which works out pretty welll. Next would be to determine wether you want a full size dairy goat or minatures. Know tha you should get 2 unless you plan on spending alot of time with your goat because they are a herd animal. Once you've figured out size then you can browse through breeds. First start with what look you like...ears up, ears down, no ears...just somewhere to start. Once, you've figured out what you like then talk to people that have those type of goats and maybe go over and visit. There are also unpapered mixed breeds which are fine if you're not planning on showing. That will save you money up front. Hopefully that helps a little. :)

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    if you want milk and pets then you want a dairy breed or a pygmy/nigerian depending on what you like. personally i love the color variations, ears, and nose on nubians and the beautiful red on oberhaslis. but i started with two saanens. so it all depends on what is in your area and what you are looking for.
    and ditto what nagismom said :D
    best of luck!

5. Kare

Kare New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Montana
    Goats are such wonderful creatures! You are in for a great adventure if you decide to get them =)

Here are some questions you might want to ask yourself while deciding:

1. What will you use them for? Meat, fiber, dairy, pets, showing, weed control?
    2. Do you have children? Smaller breeds such as Pygmy, Nigerian Dwarf and Kinder are great with children
    3. There are also diseases you should be aware of: CAE and CL are especially important, but there are others that may be prevalent in your area
    4. How far do you want to travel to get them?
    5. Do you want registered or not registered goats?

I just joined here today, but have had goats for a few years and I'm happy to help however I can!

Sincerely,

Kare
    ChaverahFarm.com

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome... glad you are here.... :wave:
    We will be happy to answer any questions you may have..... :thumb:

What dairy breed most interests you?..

How many are you wanting to start with? I do recommend.. starting out.. with just a few....so you can get a taste.. of how to care for them....and what they will need... how big is your acreage?

I use to have Nubians...I always loved them...they are great Dairy goats...very pretty to look at.....and are very calm in nature...

Their are other breeds...if you prefer others... Nubians are just what I know... as you mentioned "Milk" :wink:

7. calendula

calendula New Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hi, thanks so much for the welcome, advice, and questions I need to ask myself before I jump into this. I forgot to mention something quite important: I live in a city, so these would be urban goats. I have a standard city lot for my yard, plus the ability to rent to vacant lot next to mine (same size) for more space. So, I would want smaller goats that are friendly towards people and kids especially. I've been looking into some of the breeds mentioned, like the nigerian dwarf and pygmy, and I found a couple websites for breeders in my area. I agree that it would be best to get 2 of them, so I am just hoping that I have enough room for it.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is good to get 2 ...goats are herd animals and need each other.... :wink:

I would check with your city ordinance and see first... if you can have them there ....and if so... how many..... If you are renting ...I'd verify with the landlord... if you can have then....but... if you are property owner.... that is good cause.... you already asked yourself..LOL :laugh:

9. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Hi From the City of Everett, Washington... I live about 30 minutes from Seattle.. and I have 2 Nigerian Dwarf Does, but have recently purchased 2 more which will join us in about another month. I LOVE THEM !!!!! We have a large lot , and the Goats and 5 chickens live in the backyard. I just started milking one of the does.. and I LOVE the milk.. have made soap and cheese... Welcome to the Great Adventure!! Good luck. and Please ask away....
    (I recently posted pics of my goat/chicken yard.. you can check that out .. posted by Milk and honey: New and improved goat yard....)