The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is a cross between a Sanaan and a Nubian. Her dam is producing almost 2 gallons a day. I don't know whether the dam is Sanaan or Nubian.
Any thoughts on this cross?
I really want Nubians but it is looking more and more like Daffodil will go all winter alone if I keep looking for a purebred Nubian. This doeling looks Nubian, I don't even see the Sanaan.
The ad says she is registered, can an experimental be registered?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Yes. I recently got a Nubian/LaMancha cross and she is a recorded grade and is registered. Already sent in the paperwork and waiting on the registration papers.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I also have 2 Nubian/Lamancha crosses that are register able. I haven't registered them in my name though, I might soon though.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
There is a big difference between Experimental and Recorded Grade. Sorry, pet peeve...I breed high quality Experimentals and they are fully registered on both sides. They also do very well in the show ring and the milk bucket. One difference is that my bucklings are also fully registered and able to produce more of the same experimental breed. Mine are never bred up to American. That's not what my goal is.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
I may be using wrong terms but my girl came from registered full blood stock. Very good milkers on both sides.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
goathiker - please explain further. I think I am not understanding the experimental vs recorded grade either especially when bucks are concerned. I thought only purebred or American bucks were allowed to be registered.

I tried to find information on the ADGA site but I didn't find anything about being able to register Experimental or Grade bucks.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm interested too, Goathiker. So, if I am understanding this correctly you are breeding the experimentals with the goal in mind of creating something better than the two original breeds that stands alone in time as it's own breed? Correct me if I am wrong in my assumption. I hear a big difference to me in a recorded grade and a registered experimental. I have nothing against unregistered stock or mixes just my goal has also been somewhat different. Daffodil is an unregistered purebred and it doesn't make me love her any less, but if I am going to have kids each year to sell I just would rather have marketable kids. It just seems to make sense to me that registered kids would stand a better chance of not ending up in someone's freezer.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
That's exactly how I feel, Nubianfan, which is why I'm trying to get to where all or most of my (our) goats are registered. I just don't want them to end up in the freezer, or going to a poor home where someone assumes that just because the goat is not registered, then they aren't worth it. :/

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Believe me, registered goats end up in just as bad homes or in the freezer. You would be surprised how much people pay for animals and then neglect them anyway.

Everyone should look at the market around them and see what sells best in their area. An example is that my area is HUGE on showing dairy goats and there are many ADGA goat shows throughout the spring/summer/fall. So having ADGA registered goats gives me a bigger market to sell my goats. But when I have talked to Boer goat breeders, they say it is a waste of money to have registered goats because no one wants to pay the money for them. So many dairy people have registered stock and many meat goat people have unregistered stock in my area.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you make a good point Karen. I know Nubians sell well around here but never thought about registered vs non. registered sales. Something to think about. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
No one tests their goats around here (registered or not) so with that idea, I could forgo the expensive testing each year (2x per year) and still have a great market for selling my goats....

ok. that's just silly right? Around here untested sells just as fast as tested. IMO if you have tested and registered, you know what you're selling. If you wish to sell the goat without registration papers, you can lower the price if you choose at least. If you have unregistered, you don't have the choice.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I haven't tested any of my goats yet, (partly cause I'm broke :/) but I intend to and I will cull anything that is positive. I want to always have a clean herd.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Copied from another post so that I don't have to write it all out again...
Experimentals are not the same as grade. If you breed your LaMancha to an Oberhasli, then the babies are Reg. EX. All the kids bucks and does are eligible for registration. If you use that buck over PB, AM, or EX does then the kids are again are EX. The doelings can be bred to PB, AM, or EX bucks and have EX babies also staying within the 2 breeds. The breed up program only is for making EX into AM or trying to get to purebred in the case of LaManchas and Sables and that takes 5 or 6 generations.
Here's the rules. EX are much different then grades. This is where you create your own breed.
G. RULES FOR ENTRY INTO EXPERIMENTAL REGISTRY

Experimentals are the product of the mating of registered American or Purebred parents of different breeds. The
mating of the Purebred or American parents of the same breed, whose offspring do not meet breed standards, or the mating of Experimental animals may be entered in the Experimental Register.

1. When both parents are in the Experimental Register.

2. When one parent is in the Experimental Register and the other parent is in the Purebred or American Register.

3. When both parents are in the same Purebred or American Register, but the offspring is not eligible for entrance in the Purebred or American Register because it does not conform to the breed standards.

4. When one parent is in one Purebred or American Register and the other parent is in a different Purebred
or American Register.

5. When a doe is in the Purebred, American, or Experimental Register and she has been exposed
during the heat period to more than one buck in the Purebred, American, or Experimental Register, either
naturally or artificially, the progeny may be registered in the Experimental Register under the following
rules: (1) The application must include the name and registration number of each possible sire and (2) The
letter designation of his breed shall appear in the appropriate place on the registration certificate.

My does are Alpine /Nubian EX reg. Section G bucklings are not excluded like section H grade EX bucklings.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Section H
H. RULES FOR ENTRANCE INTO GRADE
EXPERIMENTAL RECORD (Females Only)​
Grade Experimentals are the product of mating Recorded
grade does or Grade Experimental does to Purebred,
American, or Experimental bucks, or may be from
unknown parents in the case of Native on Performance.
Females do not have to meet breed standards.
1. One parent is in the Purebred, American, or
Experimental Register and the other is of unknown or
unrecorded ancestry.
2. Sire is in the Purebred, American, or Experimental
Register and the dam is recorded as a Grade
Experimental or a Recorded Grade of any breed.
3.​
The following rule has been suspended for 2013: A
doe of unknown pedigree may be recorded as a
Native on Performance (NOP) Grade Experimental if
the doe earns the equivalent of her *M rating on
DHIA test. The individual doe lactation record page
showing the total milk, butterfat, and production must
accompany the application. The doe can be recorded
as a NOP and simultaneously be awarded her *M
status after the proper forms are filed and fees are

paid.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
amazing that adga is so accomadating on registering experimentals but i cant breed up my nigerians. but if any of you nd breeders who are interested the IDGA will let you breed up your grade nigerians.

·
I'm watching you
22,267 Posts
Nigerians have not been members of ADGA all that long yet. Getting them to accept the purebreds from AGS was a big victory in itself.
People who feel that rules still need to change should get together and lobby for that change.
Lets get the top height for bucks changed first though. There needs to be like 2 more inches added to maximum buck height.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought the registered experimental doeling! She is a BIG girl the buyer weight taped her and she is 78 pounds. She is 25% Sanaan and 75% Nubian. Her dam was 50/50 and her dad was full Nubian. She is cute but not as cute as Daffodil I will post pics later, she has already bonded to me. I walked to the truck and she came running bleating the whole way. Seller says I can breed her to her Nubian buck when she is big enough and comes into heat for a small fee. I am excited!

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She is a sweet girl a little mouthy but otherwise good. She is just so HUGE compared to Daffodil and they are only a month apart in age. She was a feb baby.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts