Considering the show ring... Help? lol

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by SterlingAcres, May 29, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    First of all, I have no idea wth I'm doing. Just to be honest.

I've got two bucks coming from Stacey soon and two AGS registered does. However, my first question is... Crescent Moon and Cozette are now, respectively, 10 and 9 years old (if I'm remembering birthdates correctly). Is there any real point in showing them or is that a lost cause? Neither have been in the show ring, but I'm told they're great milk machines. How hard is it to acquire a milk star for an older doe? (I know, I realize I'm so clueless it's laughable, sorry)

Other than that, if anyone can take my hand and lead me through it, I'd be really appreciative. I believe Stacey mentioned the next closest show to me is June 27th. I doubt I'll be ready, but I definitely want to attend the one after that.

Help, tips, advice or general information is welcome :) As always, please and thank you.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Any of my experience is with Boers, but I'll tell you this. The older does in the ring can rack up the points as it shows they are still in good condition for their age, an excellent reflection for the breed.

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I think Cozette would have a really nice chance to do well. She's really well put together and still moves fluidly like the kids I've got here. Plus, she's not as tubby as Crescent Moon. lol

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they would be shown in the "aged doe" class and if they are holding up well they usually end up choosing the grand from that class 70% of the time. So no its not a lost cause because they are older. findout how many freshenings they have had thats really important to know for the judge.

if you enter the boys into the June 27th show I will show them for you if you dont feel comfortable being in the ring. To bad the girls arent in milk yet. But maybe next year :)

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Showing the does pregnant isn't a great idea, right? I figured an August show, but they'll be bred by then. I just can't do the June 27th show :( Hubby's working and I'll have the kids. My mother is also working, but I might have to drive down there to pick up a doeling anyways, so maybe I can watch the show :)

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no they have ot be in milk to show once they are past 2 years old -- so unless you have a junior doe then none of your does can be shown this year.

7. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Definitely have to be in milk, and be faithfully milked atleast twice a day (atleast here that's a must) to get them a really nice udder for the show.
    Stacey can give you some great tips on how to clip them & the udder and such too, I'm sure. (Another very important thing).

Showing is A LOT of fun though!! And it's absolutely amazing to me how different the goat shows are from a horse show. But I guess since you are judged so specifically on the goat (mainly the udder)...and that every goat judge has a different opinion...well it's just much more of a nail biter than a horse show. Horse shows you train your horse & ride your horse on show day, if you/horse messed up on something well, you know that your points are reduced & you probably won't win. (Maybe this is just my view though???)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a good judge will judge more then the udder -- its only part of the score card. I love it, there is nothing I can do to make my goat better then another and she is who she is and its up to the judge to decide where to place them according to how they meet up against the score card. I find it exciting and interesting all at the same time.

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the goats are judged ONLY on the udder... it's just not very beneficial to show a doe that's dried up, or isn't full, atleast not here.
    :)