The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 11 day old ND buck kid that I had not seen a BM from since 12am. He ate good at 5am and then refused to take his bottle at 9am and 1pm. He stomach felt full even after not eating for 8hrs so I gave a warm soapy water enema. He soon started passing small yellow pellets. I tried to offer a bottle to him around 3pm and he wouldn’t eat more than 1oz but still acted hungry and his stomach still seemed full, so I gave another enema. He didn’t pass anymore stool, but while massaging his abdomen I felt a soft mass between his hips and the end of his ribcage. So I took him out and we walked around the yard a few times. He started passing loose stool and seemed to be straining more and I could hear his stomach making a sloshing sound. We walked around for about 20-30 minutes and afterwards I couldn’t feel the mass anymore.
is there anything else I should give him, like CD antitoxin? He’s not as active today but he doesn’t seem lethargic. He’s wanted to sleep most of the day but ran and jumped around when out in the yard. His temp is 103.1

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,050 Posts
When my bottle babies get constipated I give them Caro syrup and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When my bottle babies get constipated I give them Caro syrup and it works like a charm.
Do you add it to their bottles or just syringe reed it to them? I added some to his bottle earlier but he is still not very interested in eating

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,050 Posts
Do you add it to their bottles or just syringe reed it to them? I added some to his bottle earlier but he is still not very interested in eating
If he wont take it mixed with the milk you can syrnge it.

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
At 2 pounds he's getting too much milk to digest. I would cut him back to 1 oz 4 times a day and see how he does. That is a bit more than 10% of his body weight. To figure out how much to feed take his weight and multiply that by 16 to get weight in oz.
2 pounds x 16= 32 oz..
Then multiply that by 10% = 3.2 oz of milk per day. Divide into 4 feedings of 0.8 oz of milk 4 times a day.
You can scooch that to 1 oz 4 x a day and see if he does well on that.

His tummy should feel flat but firm..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust his amount as needed a tiny bit at a time. Re weigh him every few days and redo the math so he gets what he needs. 10% is a starting point. Some babies do ok with a bit more, some less..but until he is pooping berries on his own well...keep with 10%.
For tonight I would just give electrolytes and see how he feels tomorrow.
If you have cd antitoxin on hand..I would give him a shot of that to be proactive. Undigested milk can make them sick.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Ps..put a pinch of baking soda in his first bottle of the day a mnd goat specific probiotics in his last bottle of the day.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At 2 pounds he's getting too much milk to digest. I would cut him back to 1 oz 4 times a day and see how he does. That is a bit more than 10% of his body weight. To figure out how much to feed take his weight and multiply that by 16 to get weight in oz.
2 pounds x 16= 32 oz..
Then multiply that by 10% = 3.2 oz of milk per day. Divide into 4 feedings of 0.8 oz of milk 4 times a day.
You can scooch that to 1 oz 4 x a day and see if he does well on that.

His tummy should feel flat but firm..not too poochy and not sunken in. Adjust his amount as needed a tiny bit at a time. Re weigh him every few days and redo the math so he gets what he needs. 10% is a starting point. Some babies do ok with a bit more, some less..but until he is pooping berries on his own well...keep with 10%.
For tonight I would just give electrolytes and see how he feels tomorrow.
If you have cd antitoxin on hand..I would give him a shot of that to be proactive. Undigested milk can make them sick.

Best wishes
I meant to put 3lbs but I also just weighed him again and he’s now 3.5lbs(he was last weighed Thursday) I’ve been doing 20% of his body weight daily. He’s been pooping pellets until this afternoon when I gave the 2nd enema. He is acting more like himself but he’s still not interested in eating so I’ll give him a dose of CD antitoxin

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
It can take 2 weeks for undigested milk to cause problems. I would do 12 to 24 hours electrolytes to help give time for tummyvto settle and then do 10% for now. You can slowly increase as needed.

Best wishes

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He’s back to taking a bottle good and pooping but I’m still feeling the ball like mass in his stomach. It’s about 1/2 the size of a golf ball and high up in his abdomen.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Is it like up near his spin?

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
Where are you feeling this lump? Can you circle a picture of a goat to show and post?

Reactions: Lil Boogie

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are you feeling this lump? Can you circle a picture of a goat to show and post?
Dog breed Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail

The red dot is where I’m feeling it but it’s not on the side on his body it feels more like it’s in his intestines . It’s easier to palpate after he pees but it doesn’t seem to change in size when he pees or poops.

·
Super Moderator
31,784 Posts
That is pretty close to where the Cecum is. Possible what you are feeling.
Jaw Organism Working animal Terrestrial animal Line

Reactions: NigerianNewbie
1 - 19 of 19 Posts