The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My one month old is (thankfully) recovering well from what I think was listeriosis. She's in general about 90% better. I've been bottle or syringe feeding her goats milk since she's been sick (about a week). She didn't poop all day today and very little the day before, and I'm getting worried. I just gave her an enema of about 4cc of soapy water, and nothing :( Her belly is quite firm feeling but not particularly distended. How long should it take the enema to work? Should I repeat it? I'm going out of town in the morning and have to get this figured out before then!!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I think I read somewhere it can take about 45mins but I'm not positive maybe someone with more experience will answer soon

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!! I gave her another couple of cc's. I can actually feel is squishing around when I massage her belly :-/ I'll see if I have Karo in the pantry.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I prefer using oil and water enema, mix about 1-2 tablesppon cooking oil or mineral oil in a cup of warm water..Lay her over your lap feet tucked..I do this over my tub because I can see how much they poop. ( you can bleach the tub later lol) stir each time you need to reload your syringe...Suck some enema up and gently insert just the tip and going slow..push the plunger, maybe 3-5 cc at a time...message her tummy well, if after the first time nothing comes doing another application..keep feelingher tummy so you dont over load her...message until she poops..this can take 30-45 minutes to get her to poop...if she poops a little then stops...do another round..keep messaging..the oil will work things out and once she poops well the oil will keep things moving a bit longer...
If you plan on bottle feeding her get her weight..times that by 16 to get her weight in oz's..the times that by 10% to see how much she needs in a 24 hour period then divide that by 3-4 feedings...this will help her tummy digest better and keep her regular,,,best wishes

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Cathy! I'm afraid to do any more enema until she passes something since her tummy is so sloshy. Surely she'll at least pass the water back out, right?? It's been about 45 min with nothing. I did find some Karo and give a little of that.
I've used the milk calculation when you helped me with it a few days ago, thanks! Today I've only given her electrolyte solution since I was worried about her belly. Otherwise I think she's ready to go back with her mama, I just want her to poop first!!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Keep messaging the tummy, that will help her poop as well as stimulating her bum...sounds like you did a great job with her :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! I hope I'm just freaking and need the reassurance. I just feel like if I go to all this time and effort and lose sleep and get her through listeriosis, only to lose her to constipation . . . Agh! I'll lose it!! Thanks for talking me through it. Hopefully she poops soon.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Sometimes, it takes quite a bit of enema, to get them to push out poo. I actually put up 4 filled 6 cc syringes, to get her to start pooing. She did poo out some. So, I did it again and she pushed out more. Kept doing it until she only was pushing out water that was inserted and no more poo. This was for an adult boer. So for a kid, it will take less, but you have to get them to start pushing out the water, that was put in so, sometimes it takes more.

Do it slowly, don't worry about putting to much up there, she will push it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts