The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does anyone know what’s going on with my doe? She keeps hunching her back like this.
I don’t believe it’s urinary calculi, as I’ve seen her pee, but I’ve only seen her poop a little.
She also hasn’t been eating as much as she normally should. Is she constipated?How should I treat her?

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Yes, best do a check up...she could be in heat. Some Does act a bit bucky.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Has she been bred, that you know of? Do you have any bucks on your farm? I agree with all the above, but maybe she is pregnant? I have heard of breeding happening even with a fence in between, and I notice that you do indeed have a fence in the picture........ also, her udder looks a bit big, and her rumen looks rather large... just an observation.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,210 Posts
To answer a question on constipation. You can give her milk of magnesium. Or you can put warm soapy water in a large syringe about 5 to 10 ccs( no needle) and gentley put the water solution in her rectum. Slowly. Then wait about 45 minutes to see if she passes any feces. If not add more water and soap.
There is a Medicine Cabinent 2020 listing. That has all kinds of medical information on it. It might help you to look it up on TGS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your feedback!
I will take her temp tomorrow and see where that’s at. She’s not pregnant, we sold her kids from this year a couple of weeks ago (that’s why her udder is still slightly full) we don’t currently have a buck so that’s not an issue.
It could just be her in heat? Although I haven’t really seen her do this, although she does act very “bucky”, more so than my other does (such as mounting them and rubbing her head on them).
She’s not bloated, honestly she’s been eating less than she normally does.
Thank you for the suggestion moers, I’ll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
My more bossy girls tuck like a buck when in heat..mount the other does ect. Keep watch for when this is happenening. What else is she doing during this time? Is this behavior every 21 days ish?
A check up is good idea..make sure nothing more serious is going on.

·
Registered
381 Posts
When I brush my girls, they'll sometimes get in a weird hunched position. I posted on here before about it, everything else was fine with them, temp, eating, poop, pee, appetite. They do it infrequently and nearly everytime when I'm brushing and it seems like they want that spot brushed more, as it's not sensitive. I've chalked it up to a goofy position, but I always have eyes on them!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts