The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve never really had an goats before and my current Nigerian Dwarf male is constipated. I´ve read a lot and I´m worried. Is this serious? What can I do? The goat is eating and has energy.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Can you post a video?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I´ve never really had an goats before and my current Nigerian Dwarf male is constipated. I´ve read a lot and I´m worried. Is this serious? What can I do? The goat is eating and has energy.
How old is your goat and is he a buck or wether? What does his daily diet consist of and the amounts of each. Has he had anything different to eat recently? Thanks for answering these questions.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever was wrong thankfully fixed itself. My goat is now pooping with ease!
My goat is about 2 years old.
It is hard to describe his diet. I have a box that I fill up with hay to take out my two goats, that is about 4 times the size of a shoebox. They get a box of hay each day. And my goats get lots of treats each day during training, usually animal crackers or apples (lately, mostly apples). They get some extra carrots some days and then in the evening before bed they get about 1 1/2 cup of grain.

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
Often when male goats appear constipated it's actually a urinary blockage. The straining looks identical. Male goats can be quite prone to urinary calculi (stones). Unless you're feeding alfalfa hay, it sounds like they may need a bit more calcium in their diet. Do you include ammonium chloride on their grain?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Often when male goats appear constipated it's actually a urinary blockage. The straining looks identical. Male goats can be quite prone to urinary calculi (stones). Unless you're feeding alfalfa hay, it sounds like they may need a bit more calcium in their diet. Do you include ammonium chloride on their grain?
I'm think it wasn't a urinary blockage because he is urinating just fine, and was when I thought he was constipated. I am not currently giving any supplements.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
Does he extend his penis when he does this?

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 20 of 22 Posts