The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 3 year old goat and wasn't looking very well. She has Very watery poop. When I Look at her She will start to push like if she would be constipated. I've seen her squat down like if she had to pee but nothing comes out. Took her temperature and it was at 102.5

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Do you have a veterinarian available?

The scouring/diarrhea may be making her feel like she needs to strain even if not constipated. Or, like Karen suggested, a bladder or urinary infection.

Are you familiar with FAMACHA score? Google "Goat FAMACHA" if not and watch a video then estimate how anemic she is.

Has she ever been tested for Johne's Disease? (a blood sample)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has she been dewormed recently? With what and how much?

Is she pregnant or lactating?

Is her appetite good? Losing weight or looks good?

If you are able to post photos of her, poop and all, that would be good.
Right now I'm an not able to take of pictures of her but I will tomorrow. I deworme everyone every 6 months with Safeguard and another one which I forgot the name. My mom is the one that would know the medicine names and all.
She did have a baby but it died a week later. She dried up pretty quick so she is no longer has milk.
She does look thin. Me thinking it was because she just had a baby. She doesn't have the best appetite. I would throw some hay in her feeder, she will eat some but not much and just rome around.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
How long ago did she kid? What color is her poops? Have you given anything to help dry her up?
Safeguard is not a very effective dewormer any more. Find out what the other dewormer is and what dose she got. A 3 on the famancha scale is borderline. That can go south quick if parasites are still an issue. Deworming on schedule is also no longer recommended. Can cause resistance to the dewormer. A fecal can help you know if the dewormer worked or what and how many parasites she may still have. Any vet can usually run a fecal for you. Or you can send one to meadowmist labs for $6. Results are emailed. In the mean tume..probiotics and b complex shot daily until she feels better would be good idea..

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
dang guys you are asking all the right questions
Worms would be my first thought. after birth the hormones kick the worm in to hyper drive. you need to worm her. Valbazen or panacur are good wormers.
the other thing is a stomach pathogen give her scour halt. it is not called that any more it is specto guard i think, yes i know it is for pigs but it works. two squirts twice a day until her stools firm up
time is of the essence. the diarrhea is dehydrating her and will kill her if you don't get it stopped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday her poops watery and green.
Shes actually looking better this morning. I saw her poop and it looked normal and eating with the rest of the herd.

So the Safeguard I would give 2cc and the other one was noromectin injection but I give it to them orally so i double it which I believe would be 2cc.
She kidded 3 weeks ago. Baby died one week later. She wasn't producing alot of milk so I just left her. Didnt give her anything, she dried up on her own.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Okay green poops sounds like she at something in fresh spring pasture that didn't go over well. Glad she's looking better today!

Ivermectin should be dosed at 1mL per 40lbs orally. Safeguard (liquid, not horse paste) at 9mL per 100lbs.

Low milk production can be caused by parasites, diet, selenium deficiency, and several other things. If you have other pregnant does and haven't given selenium supplementation, you should do that now.

I would have a fecal analysis done for her since she had low milk, lost kid, and diarrhea, and FAMACHA 3. She may need stronger deworming. MeadowMist Laboratory offers low cost mail on fecal analysis or some veterinary offices or agriculture state university labs offer it.

·
Super Moderator
32,215 Posts
Green poops as mentioned often point toward dietary but can also be bankrupt worms. A fecal would be wise. My notes say ivomectin injectable given orally is 1 cc per 33 pounds. Under dosing can cause more issue than giving too much. If you are estimating her weight..add 10 pounds.
Along with the milk decrease causes that Salty mentioned I would add copper deficiency. Dehydration and the need for probiotics can all decrease milk production.
Glad her poop is back to normal and she's feeling better. I would continue probiotics and b complex while you work through her health needs.

best wishes
If you can post a picture of her..we can see if there is a visual clue what she may need.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
time is of the essence. the diarrhea is dehydrating her and will kill her if you don't get it stopped.
Yes to the above ^^^

You really need to get a fecal done on her, you can mail it to meadowmist lab: https://www.meadowmistlabservice.com/441123869. The results should tell you what type/level of parasites she has, and then you can decide which dewormer to use.

If she has a poor FAMACHA score, give daily Red Cell, Dosage is 6 ml per 100 lbs.

Daily b12 injections are also needed for anemia recovery. Dosage for the high level B complex (that has 1000 mcg B12 per ml, highest concentration you can get without a prescription) is 12cc per 100lbs.

This dosage gives the goat the same amount of b12 that they would get from the prescription b12, which has 3000 mcg of B12 per ml. If you can get the prescription kind from a vet then that would be better because you wouldn't have to give such large injections. Dosage for the 3000 mcg kind is 4cc per 100lbs.

High protein food like alfalfa is also essential for anemia recovery. Green leaves and green pine needles would be great to give her too

If she starts scouring again, I would do the below:

For diarrhea I would give this ASAP: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/bimeda-spectogard-scour-chek-240-ml
Dosage is 6ml a day for 3 days.

You can also try 10-20 ml of liquid Pepto Bismol every 4-6 hours to help with scours.

Probiotics twice a day (we mix the powder with water and drench it). Give it a couple hours after you give the scour chek, not at the same time

Take her temperature at least once a day. (Normal is 101.5-103.5 F)

Make sure she has electrolytes and water available to drink at all times. If she stops drinking she will need to be tubed or given sub-q fluids.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was the best picture i was able to take. Shes eating her hay which is lots of leaves in it and is acting normal. I do have red cell and b-complex. I will give her those.
Carnivore Dog breed Felidae Fawn Asphalt
Water Water resources Dog Mammal Watercourse

1 - 14 of 14 Posts