The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my goats isn't acting right, not wanting to eat much and looks a little bloated. I have not seen her pass any manure. She seems to want to but nothing comes. Temp is 102.1. I don't know what to do?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
How old is your goat? Bottle baby or mom raised? If bottle, what and how much fed? Did she get into anything? Chicken feed or?
An enema won't hurt to start her out. Temp looks good..keep watch there

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is 5yrs old. Eats hay and alfalfa pellets. She keeps urinating and lifting her tail but nothing comes out. Vet had me give banamine and mineral oil but still no manure. How do I give an enema to her?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Awe..shes lady not a kid..so perhaps we have mild bloat but heat cycling in?

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
A warm soap or oil enema work fine but I wonder if she needs it. Normaly adults do not. But certainly won't hurt. Mix up a batch and use a large syringe w/o needle to stir and draw some u...put just the tip rectally and push slowly. I do this until a little pushed back out. Refill as needed until berries are produced.

Lots of peeing or acting like peeing maybe her heat cycle. Watch for routine on that.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She usually walks around crying when in heat. I don't understand. Her urine looks dilute. If it's a bloat, what can. I do? I gave her the mineral oil and she ate some leaves but looks miserable. Maybe the change in weather? I am in Massachusetts and the temp went down a lot last night. I offered her hot water, but she didnt want it.

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
You can offer baking soda free choice a few days. I would give daily probiotics and dark beer to restore healthy flora

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She ate a little hay and even chewed her cud. The urinates normal but when she tries to pass manure, nothing comes. She just had a little mucus come out this last time. I think she is in heat but why isn't she passing manure?? Her gut sounds good.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could she have gotten an upset stomach from eating too much of a mineral block? There was an old one in the pen for the horse and I did see her eating some pieces. She loves salt. She is chewing her cud right now but won't eat any treats or hay.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dahlia seems better today, still lethargic but has passed manure and urinated a few times. I have not seen her drink water but her urine is not very concentrated. I let her have hay this morning since she was able to pass a lot of manure.

·
Registered
31,401 Posts
Good shes better....keep working the rumen with probiotics and dark beer. She will be 100% in no time

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dahlia now has a temp of 104.1. She nibbled hay today and drank water, but now she looks miserable. I gave her probiotics, a dose of b-complex and some banamine. Should I give any antibiotics? I have pen-g and tylan-200.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Other than a fever, what other symptoms does she have? Has her appetite decreased since she became constipated? Is she pooping regularly or only once in a while? How long ago did you give banamine and has it lowered her temperature?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today she has been urinating and passing manure like normal, so I was giving her hay and whatever else she would take. She drank the coke the vet recommended. She was eating ok this morning but in the afternoon, she didn't want much. She nibbled a small amount of hay tonight, licked loose minerals and drank a little water. I have not rechecked her temp since the banamine, wanted to give it a couple hours.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just took her temp and it was 102.6, but she is just standing with her head down and would not take treats. She did drink water. I was hoping she would perk up with the banamine.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts