The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Temp was 102.8 this morning, she drank water and nibbled hay. Going to call the vet again to see what she says. I did the probiotics and vit B again this morning.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
She said it helps soothe the stomach, plus gives her the sugar. I spoke to her again this morning about the fever last night. She said to give it one more day, keep enticing her with grass and leaves and check temp. If the fever comes back this afternoon, then we will try an antibiotic, but she doesnt want to upset the stomach if she doesn't have to.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
The concept of using the carbonation and acidity of a Coke for soothing the stomach (goats have 4) and adding a sugar substitute seems illogical. Soothing the rumen and adding more glucose can be achieved without introducing additional stomach lining irritants and gas causing liquids.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Her temp is 103.2 now, it has been nearly 24hrs since the banamine. I hate to start an antibiotic and upset her system if she doesn't need it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No, that goat is better. Her temp stayed down all day, so the vet does not think an antibiotic is warranted. She said it sounds like a gastritis/ruminitis or possibly an ulcer. Have any of you dealt with ulcers in goats?? I am trying so hard to get her to eat, but she will eat for a minute and then stop and stand with her head down or lay down. All she seems to want is salt. She is drinking, which is good.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
Many species of nematodes and cestodes cause parasitic gastritis and enteritis in sheep and goats. The most important of these are Haemonchus contortus, Teladorsagia (Ostertagia) circumcincta, Trichostrongylus axei, intestinal species of Trichostrongylus, Nematodirus spp, Bunostomum trigonocephalum, and Oesophagostomum columbianum. Cooperia curticei,
The above information was copied from Merck Veterinary Manual using the browser search words: gastritis goats. More than likely, after searching deeper into the subject there would be advice on treatments. If you wanted to do some research and reading on the subject, you might find a more in depth answer to your question. I wasn't aware goats could suffer with gastritis type ailments until now.
Gastrointestinal Parasites of Sheep and Goats - Digestive System - Merck Veterinary Manual (merckvetmanual.com)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,500 Posts
I agree this vet's thoughts are confusing at best and dangerous at worst.

If we don't want to do antibiotics it never hurts to throw in a natural antibiotic of raw garlic. 3 cloves raw orally.

B Complex injectable 6cc per 100lbs.

4-6oz dark beer once or twice daily. Room temp only. Flat preferred.

Goat probios gel if possible.

How is she eating currently?

FAMACHA score?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Temp went up to 103.9 this afternoon and she was only eating grass I picked so we started her on antibiotics. She's been getting probiotic gel 2x a day along with b-complex injections. She is thankfully drinking lots of water, so hopefully the meds help and she starts to perk up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
She ate grass for 40mins this morning but this afternoon didn't want anything so I syringed a slurry of oatmeal and applesauce into her to get some food in there. I only hear a good rumen sound once every 2.5mins. She is really making me sad. I hate tormenting her.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
How much do I need her to eat to keep her rumen going? I got some grass in her this morning but not a lot.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
I would give 6 oz dark beer along with probiotics 2 times a day for now. Keep her diet more bland as in hay and alfalfa..some leaves. I would cut back in grass grazing if you can. Roughage..lots of Roughage. Leaves, vines, pine, cedar..all good to stimulate the rumen. Think of grass more like iceberg luttce..squishy in the tummy.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts