The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
She wouldn't eat any leaves or hay so I just blended up some chopped hay and fed her the slurry. She ate it off my hand, probably about 1 cup worth. I hope that is enough to keep things going. Her manure is now covered in mucus because her gut is so slow. I don't know what else to feed her. I've tried everything.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
It's hard when they eat so little at a time . I took leaves to my Willa ever 15 to 20 minutes. Even if she just ate a few it added up. Soon she meet me at the gate for her treat. I have some oak and she loved those. Idea is to get as much roughage in her daily diet, even if it takes all day little by little...you got this

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
She won't eat any leaves so I have been syringing a slurry of hay and alfalfa pellets into her about 8oz at a time.

She keeps going to my horse's manure and rubbing her nose in it and I think trying to eat it. Why would she do that??

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
There maybe grain in the horse pods. Keep with the slurries. Those help. You can use the beer as the liquid

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
She's hungry. If she will eat the blended up hay, give her that every hour or so. Some pine boughs, cedar saplings or boughs would do her a world of good. Honey suckle and ramble roses are still green and she may like some of those. Oak tree branches are very tasty to goats as well. Goats love Red Bud tree branches also.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So good news, Dahlia was finally nibbling hay this morning! I gave her the slurry and a cup of beer even though she was eating a little so I was sure she had enough. I am hoping she continues to improve. Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
Good job!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Hi all. So the vet was able to come by today to check Dahlia. She said looking at her, she looked good. Color good, lungs good. Her stomach is "doughey" so she said we need to get it moving. She suggested instant coffee to get stuff moving through her digestive tract. I was wondering what you all thought? I am doing the dark beer 2x a day and I would think that would get things moving (it does for me anyway haha). She took her temp and it was 103.5, so she was concerned it was going up again as it has in the afternoons. She switched her antibiotic to the Naxcel, which is what she put my other goat on who was sick with similar symptoms a month ago, just a way higher fever for 6 days. She did take blood, so will see what labwork shows. I am concerned that someone else in the herd will get sick now....but what the hell is it??? My animals do not leave their large paddock and nothing grows in there except the trees obviously, pine and oak only. She was still nibbling hay when the vet came,so that is good. She won't eat the yummy second though, only wants the first cut that the rest of them hate. I told her the doe was eating my horse's manure too, she said that was odd and her wanting to eat old hay and what not was a sign of ketosis, but makes no sense for her to have it as she isn't pregnant and has not had a baby in 4 yrs. So frustrating!!!! I am just glad my girl is eating today and hopefully we get some answers with the blood since Keelin's bloodwork showed absolutely nothing last month when she was sick.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
Personally i do not see the need or benefit of instant coffee. Her rumen is compromised and more antibiotics are not going to help that. Her temp is with normal range, even if on the higher end if normal. More antibiotics may set her back a bit. I would continue the daily probiotics and dark beer along with b complex injectable daily. I would also suggest fresh raw garlic As a immune support

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
was a sign of ketosis, but makes no sense for her to have it as she isn't pregnant and has not had a baby in 4 yrs.
Ketosis isn't only limited to pregnancy. Ketosis happens from malnutrition bordering on starvation as well. I also don't see the benefit of, or the need to, give the goat instant coffee to move her bowel contents. There are other ways to accomplish a bowel movement that won't send her heart racing from the caffeine surge.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
She definitely isn't malnourished. I am guilty of having chubby goats, but they all have beautiful coats and look healthy and happy. I'll stick with the beer

·
Registered
The Monkhood
2,891 Posts
Malnutrition: {Any disorder of nutrition causing a lack of necessary or proper food substances in the body or improper absorption and distribution of them. Malnutrition may be due to a deficient diet or deficient breakdown, assimilation, or utilization of food}. Source-Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
My doe's bloodwork came back. She definitely has an infection. What is worrying me now is that her kidneys seem to be failing based off the numbers. She is so much better today, eating alfalfa and hay really well. I am hoping the antibiotics are working but the vet does not know why her kidney values are so bad. I am bringing them a urine tomorrow and they will recheck her blood next week. Has anyone had a similar experience? My goats do not leave the pen, so no exposure to antifreeze or anything and no one would be poisoning them. My other goat who was sick last month with the high fever showed no abnormalities in her kidneys.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
What plants/ trees does she have access to? It may be shes exhausted from the infection.
I would definitely keep working on her rumen, which is key for her to bounce back.

Reactions: NigerianNewbie

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
I might also add dandelion for a kidney cleanse.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I will find some dandelions tomorrow. I will do anything to help her. The only trees in my paddock are oak and pine. I don't let them out of the paddock and the times this doe has snuck out, she just goes into my hay container and raids the horse's timothy grass pellets. I am going to walk the outside of my fence tomorrow and cut back everything I don't recognize. This doe is not one for grazing on odd plants though. I am at a loss and terrified because I lost my first goat to kidney failure and we never figured out why. She got sick and never improved. I am praying that Dahlia continues to show improvement each day. I have lived here for almost 20yrs, so not new property. Also, because of my first doe dying of kidney failure, I have had the goat who has been here since that time tested 3x and her blood work shows no issues with kidneys.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Thanks everyone. I am praying we can turn this around. I am going to get my water tested. We have well water and it is high in metals, but I want to see how high and with what in case that is affecting my animals.

·
Registered
31,515 Posts
Testing the water is good idea. I know our high Sulphur has been a huge issue here. We have used online hose filters, brought in water from a friends...finally we got a water system. It's been about a month and we are starting to see the benefits.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts