The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be ok to give a kid LA-200? If so how much and could I give it orally?

I have a five day old boer kid (6-7lb) that I've been bottle feeding. She's been drinking fine, but yesterday she had a decrease in appetite, but after some probiotics her appetite has returned. She also has had some blood in her stool, which I am now suspecting is due to constipation as she was straining to poop, but has been peeing normally.

Also her breathing sometimes sounds watery and heavy (hope that makes sense) and she's been sneezing and coughing quite a bit (especially at night). I'm worried that it may be pneumonia. And on top of all of that she has what I suspect is pink eye. I won't be able to take her to the vet till next week.

For her first four days I was feeding her MannaPro Colostrum and just switched her to MannaPro kid milk today. I was giving her 5-6oz each feeding every four hours 4 times a day, but when her appetite went down yesterday I lowered it to 3oz each feeding and was hoping to bring it up to 4oz tonight. Earlier this morning I had bottle fed her 3oz of electrolytes twice, but was advised not to, so I am no longer giving her electrolytes. At the moment her appetite is good and she has been acting the same since birth, not super active but still walking around and napping, but her breathing is worrying me. Sorry, I'm new to kid care.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
What's her temp?
I would stop using the manna pro immediately and use whole cows milk with a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day. Powdered replacements cause a lot of problems in babies.
Yes, electrolytes are ok they won't hurt her.
Use a 3cc luer slip syringe and very gently push warm soapy water into her rectum until you see poop coming out. It can be a surprising amount.
I would see if you could get draxxin instead of the LA200 but antibiotics need to be subq not oral. You can use terramycin for her eye. Tractor supply has it, it's an ointment.

@toth boer goats @Jessica84 @SalteyLove

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
I agree with GoofyGoat. When you pull the replacer, fed the electrolytes a few bottles to help transition to the Whole cows milk. Be sure to buy quality milk. Get that temp to see whats going on with her breathing. On the eye, check if her lashes are inverted. If so they rub the eye ball and cause irritation and infection. If they are inverted, you will need to correct that. Keep ing eye cream in the eye will help protect them while you correct it. If they look good, then flush the eye incase there is something in them irritating them, then use Terricmycin ( can find at TSC) in the eye or Neospordin (the kind without pain relief). This will protect the eye and help heal it.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Do you have a kitchen scale or fishing scale that you can use to weigh daily in pounds and ounces? Should be gaining at least 0.5 pounds (aka: 8 ounces) daily. Pretty underweight for a 5 day old Boer. Was it from an unhealthy dam? Born early? Part of a large litter?

Electrolytes is definitely okay to bottle of the issue might be overfeeding but doesn't sound like you were overfeeding. I agree, switch to whole milk from the grocery store and make sure it's at 100*F when feeding because goat body temp is higher.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How's she doing today?
Thanks for the advice! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I did put everyone's advice to action. Last night we did the enema, except we used children's Pedia-Lax. It cleared her out nicely, but was a bit worrying to watch since all the bloody stool was the first to exit. Poor thing was really backed up. Her temperature is normal and she's no longer coughing or sneezing although I didn't do anything to treat it. She's eating well and more active than before. At the moment I haven't switched her milk and still have to buy a scale this weekend. The only problem left is her pink eye, but other than that she's as lively as ever!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Do you have a kitchen scale or fishing scale that you can use to weigh daily in pounds and ounces? Should be gaining at least 0.5 pounds (aka: 8 ounces) daily. Pretty underweight for a 5 day old Boer. Was it from an unhealthy dam? Born early? Part of a large litter?

Electrolytes is definitely okay to bottle of the issue might be overfeeding but doesn't sound like you were overfeeding. I agree, switch to whole milk from the grocery store and make sure it's at 100*F when feeding because goat body temp is higher.
Thanks for the response! I still haven't gotten a scale, but plan to this weekend. The dam is healthy, but she was born early and was only one of two kids (second one did not survive birthing). I haven't switched milks yet, but may try during the next week. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on her weight gain now. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with GoofyGoat. When you pull the replacer, fed the electrolytes a few bottles to help transition to the Whole cows milk. Be sure to buy quality milk. Get that temp to see whats going on with her breathing. On the eye, check if her lashes are inverted. If so they rub the eye ball and cause irritation and infection. If they are inverted, you will need to correct that. Keep ing eye cream in the eye will help protect them while you correct it. If they look good, then flush the eye incase there is something in them irritating them, then use Terricmycin ( can find at TSC) in the eye or Neospordin (the kind without pain relief). This will protect the eye and help heal it.
Luckily her lashes are normal, but I'll have to try the Terricymcin. Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts