The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a doe in labor (I have another thread about her) her contractions are really hard to tell. How do y’all tell your goats are having contractions? I know eventually it’s not even possible to miss but the early ones are hard to see, at least for my doe. She stretches her neck in weird directions, she grunts, moans, grinds her teeth, her eyes get huge, her legs get posty, and she will immediately come up to me. What confuses me is she rarely shoots her tail up, her vulva hasn’t sunken in, and her tail bone doesn’t really arch.
Can you describe contractions in your goats, what you look for, and/or share pictures? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you know she is in labor? They can seem to have contractions but it isn't.
I have another thread in her that I asked if she was in labor and everyone said she is. They said she can have contractions without the vulva sinking in but I just wanted to be able to tell when she is having one.

·
Super Moderator
82,111 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Fair-Haven
4,596 Posts
If you won't get a vet and don't know of anyone to help you need to glove up and go in to check your doe. If she did indeed have hard contractions, babies should have been on the ground within 30 minutes or less. Wash hands, lube and reach in . If she is open you should be able to reach in almost up to your elbow and feel what is going on. If closed, you will hit a wall.......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you won't get a vet and don't know of anyone to help you need to glove up and go in to check your doe. If she did indeed have hard contractions, babies should have been on the ground within 30 minutes or less. Wash hands, lube and reach in . If she is open you should be able to reach in almost up to your elbow and feel what is going on. If closed, you will hit a wall.......
Oh really I thought it was 30 minutes after pushing. I researched and found that contractions last 12 hours, that's incorrect?
And if I do go in, no gloves? I have gloves I've used for fecals.

·
Fair-Haven
4,596 Posts
I am very confused by your posts. If you feel she has been pushing with no kids, yes always go in. We are not there to observe your doe, so it's hard to know what you are seeing. you can go in without gloves if you wash completely and lube up. Main thing is to get those kids out if your doe is in trouble. Risk is death of doe and or babies. Please be prepared with iodine for navels, colostrum, bottles towels, etc. if necessary for babies. B-complex and Bo-Se as well if you have it....

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am very confused by your posts. If you feel she has been pushing with no kids, yes always go in. We are not there to observe your doe, so it's hard to know what you are seeing. you can go in without gloves if you wash completely and lube up. Main thing is to get those kids out if your doe is in trouble. Risk is death of doe and or babies. Please be prepared with iodine for navels, colostrum, bottles towels, etc. if necessary for babies. B-complex and Bo-Se as well if you have it....
What is confusing you?
She has been having contractions for a couple days but they aren't severe and her ligaments came back so I thought it was fake labor. This morning she started having full out contractions but no pushing or mucus plug. It's now 2:00pm and I'm starting to worry. Her ligaments went away again this morning.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Full out contractions? Without pushing? We can't see your goat. Go in and see what is going on. A mucus plug can be lost 30 days prior to kidding. Really trying to be helpful - you just need to see what is going on with her.
Yes full out contractions without pushing.
I am going in to feel what's goin on.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Full out contractions? Without pushing? We can't see your goat. Go in and see what is going on. A mucus plug can be lost 30 days prior to kidding. Really trying to be helpful - you just need to see what is going on with her.
What can I use as an lubricant? I don't have vassiline.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well with my goats its not always the tail that says when they are having contractions. Sometimes they will lay down and stretch out their back leg and their whole body will tense.
That's what she's been doing! Sometimes she'll get tense while standing up too and stretch her neck out. I didn't know that was a thing among goats!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called my vet and he explained to me what is happening and said not to intervene. Everything is normal and she’s moving through the first stages of pregnancy. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts