Contrary to what you may think . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    This is NOT a rat.
    A 2 day old American Eskimo puppy. :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yours? why do you have a picture of a 2 day old pup?

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    It's mine.
    I'm bottlefeeding it. . . it was a runt.
    And half dead a half an hour ago.
    The littermates are mamoths compared to it.

4. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    oh that is so cute!!!

5. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    HOW CUTE! I have a full grown Mini American Eskimo dog!

6. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Wow, what a tiny little thing, poor baby. What are you feeding the little fella?

7. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Oh my gosh that little guy is so tiny for his breed. He is definitely a runt.
    So how is he doing today?
    Of course if you had to pull him to survive, I can understand that. And you may have very well saved this little pup.
    Is he still with the litter though?
    You may find it easier to just keep him with the litter and place him on the momma's teat (are they teats on dogs or nipples? Maybe I just been around goats to long as they all seem like teats to me). Anyway I have found the runts do best with momma and often times grow just as big as the rest of the litter. You may be surprised to see quite a difference in him after only a couple of weeks time.
    What I would do is just go in periodically and hand place him on momma's teat to get milk. You may have to do this a lot but I would think it would be easier then to bottlefeed him. And nothing is better than momma's milk. Plus he will be able to bond and be accepted by his mom & siblings.
    Keep us updated on the pup. I wish you all the best with him. :thumbup:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    so adorable and tiny..... :love:

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I am feeding him dog milk replacer along with a pea sized serving of nutracal a day.
    He's sleeps with his mama at night. She's a good dog, but his littermates are huge compared to him.
    And you could call them teats considering that Dixie's nipples are huge . . . . :)
    He's doing alot better today.
    His name is Fat Louie III. . . and he is going to be one adorable little fluff ball when he grows up . . .
    oh, and I tried to get him to suckle at his mom, but there were three reasons why it didn't work: 1. He wouldn't open his mouth, and prying his jaws open is nearly impossible. 2. he is so weak we are dropper feeding him, but he's starting to protest so that is good. 3. The reason he's so weak I think is because he was bullied away from his nipple by his littermates.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    He is so cute! In a very strange way. He is going to be so adorable when he gets fluff though! :) I love the Eskimo dogs. :love:

11. rebecca100

rebecca100 New Member

Jan 21, 2009
    That is so precious! But.... What in the world is an American Eskimo? I have never heard of them. Are they a sled dog?

12. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    No, they are slightly larger than a Pomeranian. more angular I think and less foxlike, and their white only.

13. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What a cutie, so tiny! :love: