Controlling agressive behavior

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by GoatNurse, Dec 19, 2012.

1. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I have 3 rescues. Precious is about 1 year old. Little One is about the same age as Precious, but she is a runt and more than 1/2 the size of Precious. My newest addition Billy Bob is about 3 months and just starting to regain his strength.

I nursed Precious back to health & got Little One about 3 weeks later. Precious had to be watched constantly to stop her from trying to kill Little One, before Little became strong enough and fast enough to keep out of her way. They played and slept together and all in all got along well together.

Billy Bob is my newest rescue and I can't trust Precious anywhere near him. She attacks him without warning and for no reason. She is so vicious in her attacks on him I am afraid she is going to really hurt him.

I want them to get along together as a herd. Now that the word is out that there is someone willing to nurse their sick and injured goats for free, I am sure I will have more drop offs to my door, and I want the sick and frail ones to be safe while recovering.

Why is she so aggressive and how do I control this behavior?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Linda the newbie Goat Nurse.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like Precious is your herd queen, and any new member of the herd will be take the brunt of her wanting to keep her established herd status.

How old is Billy Bob? If he's just a few weeks old, it may be best to house him separate but where they can see, smell and touch each other....such as a separating fence in an area of the main pen until he's stronger.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Yep she is showing him who is boss, when ever I get a new goat they fight like cats and dogs, but i do just leave them be and after about a week they act like they knew each other all their life. BUT How is she with the one that she has been with for a while?? If she is still mean to her she might just be down right mean. I have HAD 2 of these, the first I loved her and did everything I could think of to make her stop being a brat, sold both and was the smartest thing I did, that first on that I liked so much ended up killing 2 kids at her new home, then was sold again. If thats what she is like, just mean, I dont have any advise since I will not take the chance of them making other does abort.

4. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Billy Bob is only about 3 months. I have had him for about 3 weeks and he is getting stronger but he is still skinny. He is a loner because he was so abused where he came from. I hate to see him by himself all the time, but I don't want him being beat up all the time either.

Precious has become a big brat. She was horribly abused, and a mere skeleton when I took her in. I think her behavior is learned but I need her not to be so rough with the littler ones.

She is not mean with Little One, but she will chase her every now and again. How long will it take for the pecking order to be established and everyone getting along with each other?

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well...at 3 months, getting his strength and health back are important, is he wethered? If not, I'd see about having it done and possibly putting Little in with him as a buddy, leave Precious to her own devices while Billy bonds with Little

6. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I definitely would like to wether Billy Bob, but I don't know of anyone in the area that knows how to do this. I am going to try the Animal Shelter. It has to be done humanely and with the least amount of discomfort for him.

7. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Will they be able to work it out and live together peacefully or will I have to keep Precious isolated from the other goats? I would like to have a happy and loving family grouping.

The crazy thing is Billy Bob, who is very much the loner, grazes way away from the other two, he seems to like being around Caleb my Rhodesian Ridgeback. Caleb plays the role of the grandfather babysitter. He like to lie out in the sun positioned between the two groupings keeping his eye on the Homestead. I have two Ridgies, Nia and Caleb, they get along well with the goats, though they have to keep a heads up around Precious because she will make a go at them every once in a while, but they think it is a game, so she quickly gives up on trying to bully them.

I just would like to have one big happy family. Just need some advice on how to make that happen.

Thanks to those that have taken the time to share their experiences and knowledge. I am extremely grateful.

Linda
    Goat Nurse in Training

8. Arkie

Arkie Junior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    North Central AR
    Banding a billy to neuter him is really easy and requires very little in the way of equipment. Discomfort for a couple days, but most don't make all that much of a fuss about it.

YouTube videos abound showing the procedure.

Is your aggressive doe horned or polled? If horned, they can be banded to make her much less dangerous to the others as well. OR, the tennis ball route!;)

Bob

9. I've seen the tennis ball route for it's ease of use. Agreed the you tube videos on banding are good. Yes there is a pecking order, and I wouldn't put anyone weak (until they're healthy) with herd queen. They can't defend themselves and it adds more stress to one who is weak or recovering.

10. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    I separated Queen Precious today and she went berserk. She cried and knocked the crates out of the kennel. She threw a full blown temper tantrum.

Imagine my surprise when the Billy Bob and Little One came and consoled her. Nuzzling her around her face and lying close to her. After about six hours I let her loose and they all went off browsing like they have been together for years.

They looked like the herd I wished for them to be. I know this will probably be short lived. Once she forgets about her short incarceration, she will most likely go back to being the bully.

I am truly curios about how they behave tomorrow.

11. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Unless you want the girls pregnant, I would suggest separating Billy quickly. Do your dogs stay outside? If so, pen them with Billy until you wether him or keep him for a buck. The dogs and him will become friends and you won't have to worry about unwanted pregnancy or the bullying. If you don't wether and keep them together, he will become more aggressive as he goes into rut whenever the does are in heat. And if the does are pygmies or nigerians they will go into heat every month. You don't want a buck to continually go into rut as it shortens his lifespan.

12. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I agree about the wethering, but disagree about the dogs. Domestic dogs are the #1 predators of goats.

13. caprine crazy

caprine crazy Boer Lover 4 Life!

Jun 12, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    Sounds like you got yourself a schizophrenic goat!

14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

One thing that has worked well for me is to put a bell on the bully. It lets the other goats know that she's coming so they can scatter. They will normally start getting along. Soon these three will be picking on the next newcomer.

15. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Poor Billy Bob only has about 30 more days before he will have to go to a new home. I don't want my girls kidding just yet and I don't have anyone to do the deed for the little fellow, so I am left with little to no choice.

Not sure about banding. read it is banned in some places. Some say it is a cruel and inhumane way to wether a goat. I have to research a bit more,

16. Arkie

Arkie Junior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    North Central AR

I'd really be interested to see a link to the "banned, cruel, inhumane link.

Bob

17. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Where are you located? You don't have any large animal vets around you?

18. GoatNurse

GoatNurse New Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Bob,
    I don't know enough about goats to even know what I don't know.

I am extremely grateful for everyone that takes one second of their valuable time to share their knowledge and experience. I know that people have varying opinions and what works for one person may not work for another.

The statement about banding I got from a sister website. If you really want the link, I will send it to you. I am constantly looking for information that is useful, so if people don't agree on a matter I still learn from both of them.
    Thanks to all.

19. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I almost didn't band because Fias Co Farm had said it was cruel. We ordered the burdizzo, but it was on backorder, and it didn't come in time. They were older now and we needed them fixed ASAP, so we canceled the burdizzo order and got the bander. After banding myself, I feel it is not inhumane. They did cry, but we gave them pain relief and banded them at night, so they slept the worst of it off. The burdizzo is a great method but I don't feel it will work for us because it can take months to see if it was successful, and our wethers and does live together (Nigerian Dwarves are fertile little creatures :laugh: )

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That is so NOT ture. It is very easy and my boys fuss for a few minutes.

I would say dehorning is inhumane over banding them. If you like him, it is so easy to band him. If you have a vet around they will do it or call a person that has cattle. You would just need a smaller band.