The Goat Spot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
I'm watching you
22,567 Posts
I may have something you'd be interested in. I'll get pics soon.

Oh, by the way, Salal is a value crop. Find out where the forest products shed is and sell it. Make a little money for clearing.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Here are some pics of some of my younger ones foraging now that we are weaning them.

The second generation seems to be doing a way better job of feeding themselves they stay out longer and venture deeper into the brush.

These 4 are all 3/4 angora 1/4 nigerian
Wow, that is what goats' fodder shall look like! :)

Concerning aftertaste on store milk, I think it might be from the tubes the milk is going through during the process, no matter how hard the dairies try to use good materials like glass and stainless.

PS When thinking of it, foraging might be something a kid must learn, preferably from its mother. Can you try to teach them what is edible by serving such in their barn?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Wow, that is what goats' fodder shall look like! :)

Concerning aftertaste on store milk, I think it might be from the tubes the milk is going through during the process, no matter how hard the dairies try to use good materials like glass and stainless.

PS When thinking of it, foraging might be something a kid must learn, preferably from its mother. Can you try to teach them what is edible by serving such in their barn?
I do a little and I spend a few hours a week pulling down branches and walking the brush with them, usually 15 mins here and there when I'm take a break from other work. I dont put as much forage in there feeder as I should because the time to cut it and gather it is time I'd rather spend on other things.

And yeah people sometimes ask me why I havent gotten a cow, and then they see the land. This place was made for goats and ducks. (I have 100s of little water holes all over the place) not cows and chickens. So I raise goats and ducks.
I may have something you'd be interested in. I'll get pics soon.

Oh, by the way, Salal is a value crop. Find out where the forest products shed is and sell it. Make a little money for clearing.
What is dalal used for? And what value does it have? While its native here it might as well be invasive as it tends to form monolithic cultures easily.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Feeder, thanks for the word! And thank you for "listening to your land"! I wish everyone would do that! :)

Now, I fear we are back to the initial problem. You bend down branches, and the goats understand you are their leader, and follow you. At the same time, I DOOO understand you have little time, and prefer to use the short moments of leisure with nice friends, rather than cutting and carrying. :inlove:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
And for what kind of medical treatment is it good? This is a very nice niche market!!
The articlees that I found were about salal being used in floral arrangements as a greenery filler because it stays green for so long after harvest.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The articlees that I found were about salal being used in floral arrangements as a greenery filler because it stays green for so long after harvest.
Did you look at the search I offered?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I got to ecosia page, and could not tell what anything was. I will try again.
Scrolled down to an Amazon link.
OK, It was just a search engine return of that particular phrase, "value of Salal"

Ecosia is just a search engine, like Bing, Yahoo, or Google. All the profits go to plant trees around the globe to fight deforestation, that's why I use it.
ecosia.com :spam:

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
OK, It was just a search engine return of that particular phrase, "value of Salal"

Ecosia is just a search engine, like Bing, Yahoo, or Google. All the profits go to plant trees around the globe to fight deforestation, that's why I use it.
ecosia.com :spam:
What it looks like on my tablet. Colorfulness Font Screenshot Operating system Circle
Font Tints and shades Oval Circle Symbol Font Rectangle Drawing Fashion accessory Event Font Slope Circle Electric blue Logo
One on top of the other

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
My goats readily eat salal. At times its one of the only forage available to them. Most of the winter its salal and douglas fir branches which fall to the forest floor.
That makes me super happy to hear I've got an acre or two that is pretty much just small and Doug fir, plus a little ceder.

Mine seem to do ok on the salal as long as they have something else to go along with it. When they have only salal left they get bored and whiney.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts