The Goat Spot Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Just a minor update to this thread it seems that how the goats are raised makes a huge difference. My 5 oldest bucklings have been completely separated from their moms bow for over a month, and have been separated at night for 3 months. I havent given them a single scrap of feed, no hay no grain, for 2 months.

And they are fat. With a Capitol F. Like I'd suspect they where pregnant. They aren't bloated they dont cry at the gate to go to the barn and they are WAY more adventurous about going deeper I to the brush to forage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mine took to forage straight away.

The way I did it was to bring them forage to eat in their pen and also put them on a leash and take them for a walk through the forest

They nibble at a few different leaves

It takes them time to determine a particular leaf is safe to eat

Once they know what ones are safe they eat more of that type

I think me being there at first helped.

As they ate more on the walks and in the pen I fed them less hay

Eventually they would wander on their own but they never go very far out the gate. If I want them to forage in a new area I have to go with them

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
David Mackenzie has a wonderful description of the dance the flock queen makes if she tastes something that is not good. Go hide in a corner, Tjaikowskij and the rest, this is expressive dancing! She spits, shakes her head, spits again, stomps on it ...

But if it is good, she eats it, and after a while the rest of the flock is allowed to have a try.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
@ScottE I'm wondering how your project is going, and what you ever ended up doing with that noisy white doe that was calling everyone to the gate?
I still havent gotten rid of her, almost everyday I threaten her with the stew pot, and everyday I get busy with other things and forget to take pictures so I can post some for sale listings.

Weve added a few more alpine goats to the herd, and as I stated earlier the younger goats are going great. I'm going to guess that by the 3rd generation everyone will be doing great. We're getting close to 3 gallons of milk a day on 8 milking does but over half of that is coming from only 2 of the alpines. We have 4 more alpine does that we'll breed this fall so I'll be surprised if we're not over 6 gallons by next spring.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts