convincing my dad... part two: the plan

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ohiogoatgirl, May 10, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    how does this sound to ya'll for a plan? this is for after i fix the fence and barn, and what all needs fixin'. add anything you would change. this is from my personal experience and books.

doe diet (dry/ not preg.)= 1 cup feed a day, pasture, hay
    doe diet (dry/ preg.)= 2 cups feed a day, pasture, hay
    doe diet (kidded/ milking)= 1 cup feed at each milking, pasture, hay
    buck diet (breeding season)= 1 cup a day, pasture, hay
    buck diet (not breeding season)= 1/2 cup a day, pasture, hay
    wether diet= 1 cup feed a day, pasture, hay
    breeding plan= check for heat/ best if bred between dec. 9-24 for due date in spring may 10-25
    kids (first four days)= with mom
    kids (day 5 to 2 months)= bucket train, hay, pasture, feed
    kids (2 months+)=feed as adults/ seperate bucklings at 2 months
    buck sell for= 2 months $50/ yearling $75-100/ adult $100+
    doe sell for= 2 months $50-75/ yearling $75-100/ adult $100+
    wether sell for= 2 months $25-50/ yearling $50-75/ adult $100+ (more if i trained them/ how much more?)
    breeding fee= how much should i charge? what would vary the price?
    what age should the babies be to put them in the herd? 2 months?

2. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    I thought you weren't supposed to feed pregnant does grain due to issues with oversized kids?? I'm a noob too so just wondering myself

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Jalene, I was under the same impression. I feed my pregnant goats the same amount of grain as the rest of the girls. I don't give them any extra (trying to keep the size of the kids manageable for the doe).
    -Tina

4. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    idk. in one book on goats the author said she fed her goats aimilar amounts. btw i have two sannens and am (maybe/ most likely/ i really hope so) getting a ober buckling. i'm not into pygmy's etc. so they are full size breeds. how much do you reccomend?

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am new to goats too and their nutrition. Our girls are due to kid probably in the next month. We give them each a cup of grain, they have LOTS of underbrush and grass they can eat <they are across the creek munching as I type!>, and after I feed them in the evening, I give them a little hay - not sure but I think it's timmothy hay? My husband bought it... Anyway, this is the diet they were on before we got them except they were getting more grain since they didn't have all the underbrush, etc.