convincing my dad...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ohiogoatgirl, May 6, 2010.

1. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    how do i convince my dad to let me bring my girls with me to his house for the weekends? and during the summer we will have a full week over there. :?
    when they got divorced me, my sisters, and my mom moved and dad stayed in our house. he got rid of all our goats but kept all the stuff. he said he was going to fix the fence and barn etc. and start fresh in the spring with new stock. but i know my dad and like i knew he hast even been out in the yard that far let alone fix anything. which there really isnt anything to fix.
    the house is on the family farm so there is plenty of room to hike around. how do i convince him?!
    and even bigger... i am looking for a buck to buy... there isnt enough space for a seperate pen. how could i convince him to let me keep it at his house once i get one? there are two pens at his house. one covers about two acres and the other covers about four acres (just my guesses). could i keep a buck on this much land with him mainly on forage? i was thinking he could eat it down really good (becuase its all grown up after the year or so its been empty) and there is a big variety. i would have a mineral block in with him and could give him grain and more hay in the winter. does this sound good? :whatgoat:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well, I have a hard time thinking he will budge. I would not be trying for the buck. Is there anyone near by that you could breed your does to when you get them?

It is not fair, and that is life, I have to say it but it is what it is.

How far away are your parents from each other? What are you doing with your goats? How old are you? Could you drive and take care of them yourself all the time?

I am so sorry to say it but unless he would get involved with you and do shows or 4H or whatever, I would bet it is going to be pretty hard.

3. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i am eighteen (finally!). my parents are only about five or six miles apart. it is hilly but i have rode my bike the whole stretch (plus some) before. i dont have my liscence yet. i do not like 4-H. no offence to the people who actually do their books and take care of their animals. me and my sister were in it one year a few years back. we did our books ourselves and took care of them by ourselves. we finally get to fair and the kids walk around saying "is this one mine?"!!! we couldnt believe it! how do you not know the animal you have been taking care of?! well, as we say in my family, FFA stands for Fathers Feeding Animals. the fair was horrible and it gets worse every year. you have the rich kids who live on big, fancy "farms" and take a couple of each animal, then you have the kids who live in town and bring a dog or cat or rabbit, then you have the real farm kids who actually get out there and throw bales with the family and take care of their cow or hog or goat.
    sorry i kinda went on a big shpeel there...

4. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Let me put myself in your dad's position and offer what may convince me.

First, start by writing down a plan. In other words a business plan. If you do not know how to do this, look it up on the net and get some ideas.This will show him that you have given this some thought. Write down your short and long term plans. What you expect from him and what he should expect from you. Be willing to do ALL work. Fixing fences, etc. You will need to supply all food, etc so that nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes out of his pocket! Walk the property with your dad and show him your ideas.

As far as the buck is concerned. Ask your dad if he is serious about starting another herd. Ask what type of goat he is willing to deal with or wants. Hopefuly this will be along the lines of what you are doing..breed wise. Offer to buy the buck. Offer to build a buck safe pen and help him with his goats whenever you can.

In other words. Be willing to run his operation! As you are 18, is it possible to now live on his property? You will need to be available at any given time.

Good Luck!

5. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    "itchysmom" thank you. i could live there but my job (if i get it) is walkig distance from my moms house, so dad would have to drive me to work. unless he helped me get a car... which may be more likely than the goat... if i live with him then my two does will come with me. i would not mind fixing things and all that. i dont know why he doesnt fix things. he has a bunch of things he says he wants to do but he doesnt do any of it......

6. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Let me try to answer this. My boys are allowed to have any animals they want as long as they take care of them. They are 12 and 13 we live on 7 acres. The goats are kinda a family thing but we all have different roles with them. They wanted more goats so they helped expand the fencing and build the a shelter along with running water line. If they didn't help I did not do anything myself. They wanted a calf so they built a new pen they found a free buck they built another pen. We paid for most of the supplies but they gave up some things they "wanted" when they ask for treats at the store I ask do the animals have food. WE have also seen some of the parents do all the work for 4 h projects and that upsets my wife and I but the boys get really ticked when they see the other kids running around while some one else is caring for "their project". So what are you willing to do to convince your dad what financial contribution can you make. How much sweat equity are you willing to put into it. Have you started working on the repairs yourself while you are over there. Also keep in mind dad may have a alot on his plate and maybe he doesn't have the time to care for animals.
    Do you have a plan for paying for feed and an income source from the goats or are they just pets.

7. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i am 90% sure i am getting this job i've applied for (she knows my mom, needs someone who she knows will work,...) so i can pay for the supplies once i start getting paid. i will be milking them and i am training them to pack and harness. plus i will be selling some babies too. dad has health problems but what bugs me is he doesnt do anything to do the stuff he wants to do. i would do it myself if he lets me keep them there. but before i got them he said he's gotta fix up stuff before we can get animals again. but he doesnt go out there or anything. he doesnt even say anything like "i've got the stuff to fix it all but you will have to do most of the work", he just doesnt do anything with anything...

8. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Not to sound like the parent here, but there may be other things going on when you all had goats was it a family thing. I don't know how old you are or how long your folks have been divorced but the goats may be more then a "goat: issue. Many times people loss interest in something that was a family activity after a divorce or it could be the opposite that he was never into goats but did it for the rest of the family.

9. ohiogoatgirl

ohiogoatgirl New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    ohio
    i know what you mean. but he was the one who kept talking about animals. we used to all take care of them but with nine does to hand milk, about 15 yearlings to be sold or bred next season, a gigantic buck, and around 18 babies to tend to all at once it had to be. i am 18 years old. i understand what you mean about losing interest in things we used to do as a family. the divorce was a little over a year ago. dad has had two girlfriends since and mom has had two boyfriends.