The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm fairly new to milking but have learned so much in the past couple months - one of this first things I learned is to not milk into a plastic feed bucket :) Oh that first taste of my girls milk was VERY disappointing.
Second in those early lessons was the importance of cooling the milk quickly. I've tried several different methods but a couple weeks ago I went to a ADGA show to learn and ask lots of questions.
One very nice woman told me she freezes water bottles and puts those bottles in her buckets and just milks on to the ice. I did it and woohoo my milk is just about refrigerator cold by the time I get to the house.
I wash the bottles with my buckets and strainers and then just put them back in the freezer. I've not had any off tasting milk because of the bottles (we won't discuss the milk that tastes like the buck I'm leasing:laugh:). But I know the plastic bottles will only hold out for so long.
I did try ziplock bags full of ice and that works well but milking 3 goats 2xs a day uses a lot of bags! So I think I'm going to try freezing quart jars of water.
My question is I've read a lot of different ways to cool milk on this forum and nobody does this. There has to be a reason why and I'm wondering what it is....

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we take our milk bottles and a bucket of ice to the barn. of course with winter staring us down we wont be needing the ice just put it in the snow bank!! i like your idea but would have to use glass ice jars

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I am not very fond of the plastic bottle idea but I am a bit OCD when it comes to being clean and sterile. Plastic can hold many bad things as they absorb just about everything. Even with washing I would worry that something may not be completely off of it. Also it is not very good to have plastic and both ends of the temperature spectrum. Once again it's just me being OCD. When plastic is hot or cold it can release pseudo-estrogen into the water or milk or what ever liquid that is in contact with it (that can cause cancer in women, men too but more option women). If you had a stainless steel rod like they use in pressure point massages I would think that would be much better since it is easy to sterilize and would not release anything into the milk. I personally have a bucket of ice water in my milk refrig which is very close to my milk stand. As soon as I finish milking into a sterile glass mason jar I place the jar into the ice water and it cools down in a Grade A cooling time. That refrig is only used for milk.

This is just my opinion. If it works for you and your milk tastes fine and you don't worry about plastic stuff in an OCD fashion then do what works best for you.

·
376 Posts
I am fairly new to milking too. What I do is use a stainless steel dog pan that I got from Jeffers (bought new for this purpose) http://www.jefferspet.com/standard-stainless-steel-bowls/camid/PET/cp/2151/cn/10004/ that I put ice in and set my milk bucket in the ice while milking. The milk is cold by the time I get finished milking. I wash and sterilize the pan after every use. DDFN I am also OCD about keeping everything clean and sterile so I too, would be afraid to use plastic.

Pretty soon I don't think I'll have to worry about the ice... it was sure cold out there this morning!

·
Registered
930 Posts
I agree with OCD when milking! Sometimes I put my filtered milk (always in glass half gallon canning jars) in a sink of ice water, cools it off really fast, I don't worry about cooling until after I have it filtered in the house, never had any problems. Sometimes I give my jars a good vinegar water soak to remove any milk buildup in my jars, that also helps.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a Nigi and when I milk I strain it and place my jar in the ice that is in the freezer where you get ice to put in your drink. I let it cool there then filter it into a larger jar that I keep in fridge. My milk tastes good. Of course I do make sure its clean before I put it in that ice.

·
4,499 Posts
Ok, I'm not OCD at all ...so I milk onto small plastic ice blocks that are made to go into lunch boxes. I wash them with the rest of my equipment and back into the freezer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts