The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can buy the capsules from the goat Copasure separately? We were looking into buying the cattle Copasure boluses and splitting them up for the goats to save on copper. However, we have this bolus gun: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/small-bolus-gun which only works with the goat copasure capsules. The only empty capsules I could find were too big for our bolus gun. We want to use it because it works well (and it was pricy lol). Does anyone know where you can get goat copasure sized empty capsules? According to the Jeffers page for our bolus gun it holds capsules that are 1/4" or 3/8" in diameter.

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/copasure-for-sheep-and-goats-4-gram-12-capsules

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Amazon will have what your looking for. Now when I bought my empty capsules I got bags that had 5,000 in them so it has been a few years since I have had to buy them, but if I remember right (don’t really take my word for it) it’s size 0 and 00 that is the same size as the 2 and 4 gram. I remember when I was trying to figure it out I looked at the pictures people posted on the reviews until I got it figured out on what size I wanted. If you haven’t found what your looking for by the time I have some free time I’ll go on the hunt with you and see if we can get it figured out ;)

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I got mine on Amazon as well. I don't know where else you can buy them, but do try your local health food stores if you have any. It'll help keep local stores in business.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we got the 00 capsules and they are too small to fit in the bolus gun. Smaller than the 4g copasure capsules, more like the 2g size. But we lost the tip to the bolus gun that holds the 2g boluses.

I went back and searched and found this:

Capsule size '0' is perfect for 2 G and capsule size '000' works for the 4 G. I bought my food scale and empty capsules from Amazon.
So I guess we have to get the 000

Reactions: Iluvlilly!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We finally found some capsules that are the same size as the Copasure 4 gram goat boluses and that fit our bolus gun!
They are these: PurecapsUSA Empty Vegetarian Pullulan Capsules - Size "000"
So it was size 000.

Got the cow Copasure from Valley Vet and broke those open.

Used a gram scale to weigh the capsules and soon discovered that since they are the same size (or extremely close) to the copasure goat capsules, they hold 4 grams of copper when filled up all the way.
So you just scoop up the rods until the capsule is full, put the top of the capsule on, and weigh it. It was 4 grams or very close to that every time. :)
And we tested it by giving some of the boluses yesterday.

One note is that you may have to wear latex gloves when filling the capsules. The sweat from your hands can start to dissolve the capsule. Learned that the hard way lol.

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
I don't even use a bolus gun - I snip the end off a plastic syringe, break apart the bolus putting it into the syringe and give that way, follow up with a small squirt of electrolytes. No more spit out bolus capsules and a lot less fighting.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't even use a bolus gun - I snip the end off a plastic syringe, break apart the bolus putting it into the syringe and give that way, follow up with a small squirt of electrolytes. No more spit out bolus capsules and a lot less fighting.
I saw that you can do it that way, I just wanted to bolus them whole since we already had the gun and it works well for us. This thing goes down pretty far and shoots the bolus out--they swallow it before they realize what happened.

Reactions: goatblessings
1 - 13 of 13 Posts