Copper...another question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Jul 29, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Well I think one of my does has a copper def. :( I have loose mineral out, but I never really notice her eating any. The coloring around her eyes has gotten much lighter and her nose, and she's always had a few spots on her coat, possibly fishtail?

Where can I get copper bolus? and if I am only treating one doe I wouldn't need much right? So I wonder if I could actually buy a couple from someone privately instead of buying an entire container? <My husband just lost his job so I don't have much $$ at all for this>.

Also if I got this could I drench her with it instead of putting it in another capsule? I really don't have anything else I could put it in.
    She was bred at the beginning of the week, and we are hoping she took, and don't want any issues with her health because of something like this.

---- I forgot to mention we do have some copper wire, could i do anything with that for her? I've heard of people putting it in their water, but I don't know if that would help enough?

Thanks for any help!

2. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Re: Copper...copper...copper

Whitney Dunahee at Butter Bliss Nubians has copper bolus for sale. I ordered mine from her and they arrived in a very timely manner. They are 1.5 gram capsules that would treat 33lbs, they are 75¢ each plus $2.50 s/h.

She does have paypal : [email protected]

3. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much I will contact her!

4. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010

I just used Stacy's method for ''drenching" the copper bits (although they didn't look very coppery, they looked more like the pieces in those retractable pencils, all the little pieces of lead) - anyway, you measure them out and put them in mashed banana, and dose them with a horse syringe (like you get the wormer in) Of course i didn't know i could use them for anything else and tossed them a few weeks ago when they were emptied. :GAAH:

I ended up buying a new one with probios and putting the probios in a small container in my fridge. (side note: Does anyone know if i can use the horse probios for the goats?)

I separated all the doses into little containers that i had, and brought them and the dish of mashed banana to the barn. I sucked up a syringe-full of banana, squirted most of it into the first container of copper bits (leave some in the syringe for a pure banana taste at the end) mixed up the copper/banana, and sucked it back into the syringe. Squirted it into doe #1, went back and mixed up the next dose, and so on. I didn't know if i could mix them up first (like if the copper bits would start dissolving) so i mixed with banana immediately before dosing each doe.

Anyway it went VERY easily. The goats LOVE banana. It was the easiest dosing i've ever done with them. I was going to do the marshmallow method someone discussed on this board, but the banana was so easy, that i highly recommend it.

5. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas

Your Welcome, and now I have to figure out how to give these pills to my goats. LOL

6. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri

Yikes... I have seen how big those pills are... I was told just to pry the mouth open and push it down with my finger... I never used this pill, lol, figured my Goat Block was enough, she ate off it, and I didn't see any problems with her. The lady who gave it to us seemed a little off on information, so I figured I would take the chance, as I would be afraid of doing it wrong and kill her >.>

7. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas

Hmmm...I am not sure what size pill she tried to give you. The ones that Whitney sell are about the size of a normal gel capsul for headaches. I wonder if she tried to give you the full size cow pill, which would have been the wrong dose.

8. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri

It was huge.. I can't even describe the size. I am thankful I didn't give it to her now. I would say 5 times the amount of a Calcium Tablet (if you ever see one). It was pretty heavy too.

We figured it was best to take her opinion with a grain of salt... you could just tell half her stories were made up... >.>

Well for one, for someone so educated you should have seen all the goats in one little area... and.. it wasn't clean. Thankfully, Grace didn't have any problems. Something you think back later. I am sure you all have been there. I wont go back to her again for anything...

We figure she was a lady that just snatched up goats from auctions for cheap...and resold them.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

(side note: Does anyone know if i can use the horse probios for the goats?)

Yes,,,same stuff just a smaller tube. I've used both, those labled for horses and those for cows...no problem and everyone loves both.

That was likely a bolus for a cow...most goat folk will open the capsule and weigh out the rods for a goat dose.

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Has anyone ever tried putting copper wire in the water? Would that hurt them? My husband wanted me to ask before we try to order anything as he has a lot of copper wire.

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    LOL I have often wondered about cutting up copper wire into the same size piecesthat they sell in Copasure and giving them in a pill.

Then someone says something about the wires "specific gravity" and I think maybe they actually put more into these wires.....OR Maybe NOT>

I want to try to do that maybe someone will try it and we'll have a "make your own out of house wire" revolution!

12. PznIvyFarm

PznIvyFarm New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I wonder if giving them water in a copper bowl would give them extra copper................

13. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california

we just did the banana trick and it worked awsome.i wont go back to the capsules.
    so much easier.
    renee

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    what kind of loose salt and minerals...are you using...? If you are using cattle minerals... it has alot less of everything in it ...appose to the goat minerals....it has alot more and what they need........ I was using cattle minerals up til now... when I seen copper deficiencies starting... in my herd....so I switched and man.... they are really going for it....... like it was a hot fudge sunday.....LOL :thumb:

15. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    We use loose goat mineral from the feed store. They love the stuff, but don't eat it like they were lacking something. I see them standing at the bucket off and on. We also give medicated goat feed from the same feed store I get the mineral, and it's what everyone in this area recommends & uses. I need to find out how much copper is in both the mineral and feed, so if there are any tags out in the shed I'll be able to post, otherwise I'd have no idea....

We haven't gotten any copper yet. I'm debating on whether I will order just enough for a couple of goats, or buy enough to last a while. I'm guessing you can keep this stuff for years right? haha....

If you suspect a goat is copper def. and give them copper and they weren't really def, would giving them the copure boluses harm them? That's another thing that has had me holding off. Since I am new at this I could be wrong about copper def.

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The bag should say for goats or cattle ect on it.....

Find out ...what you have and you may want to find one for goats..... if you happen to have it for cattle.....I am with you....it scares me ....to give the bolus... if they don't need it that bad...it can overdose them and make things worse...depending on the individual goat..... :(

Also... I find that ...they love the goat kind better.... than the cattle kind.... the goat minerals.... is dark in color and has a pleasant smell..... :greengrin:

17. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Pam. I did make sure we got the loose mineral for goats :) I didn't get a chance to check for a label on the bag, I'll have to remember to check it tomorrow to see what all is in it and how much.
    Thankfully the feed store we go to is where most of the area goat breeders go, so they carry the stuff for goats. The feed stores in our town specilize in horses, so they only have one kind of 'basic' goat feed <not the medicated feed>. So I make sure to drive to the other one, definitely well worth it :)

I'm with you on being scared to use the copper. I think I'll just stick with my instict and not mess with it unless I have more proof that I need to worry.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :thumb: ....sorry I couldn't of been more help here... :( Glad you got it for goats....the Purina goat minerals is dark in color ....almost looks like coffee grounds....as appose to the cattle minerals.... that look like light colored fine sand.....

:hug: :hi5:

19. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    The copper oxide in Copasure has very little bioavailability they say.

20. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    What is the copasure dosage for goats? I ordered the 12.5g from Jeffers and will get the 00 capules.