Copper Blolus

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kelebek, Jan 1, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok,

I bought some of the copper pills from RunAround - but I still have some questions -

- what is the doseage when I break the capsules down?

- Can I give to pregnant goats and if so at what part of pregnancy?

- how old does a goat need to be to give the bolus?

I have a couple goaties that are starting to get fish tail and I was told to bolus them - but I don't know how........... aghhhhhhhhh

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    here is the topic I started about it:
    viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4293

Dosage I give is on the second page. :)

As far as I know they can be any age. I am not sure about preggy does though. I have given it to preggy does before, but I don't know if I was supposed to.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    cool, got the dosages - now to find out if I can give it to pregger girls and I will bolus tomorrow

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    IN the first stage of their pregnancy it is recomended that you do not give copper supplements (at least that is what I was told :shrug: ) after the first few weeks + then you are safe.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So if they are either NOT pregnant or 30+ days pregnant or more they should be fine?

The last doe that I bred was on December 14th - so actually I should be ok to bolus everyone??

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is what I was told, but I would like someone to confirm that as well

7. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    When you give boluses, do you use the ram rod thing and jam it down their throat or what? Just curious, because thats how I've always read to do it, and thats what we have done in the past.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a bolus gun that I use. It is not like the plastic ones that you can buy, mine has very soft plastic on the end so if they bite the end and split it, they will still be ok to use or just replace the plastic. I have heard that people use the hard plastic ones and the goat bites the end, splitting the plastic and they use it anyway and it ends up cutting the next goats mouth.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    This year I had a bad copper deficiency problem which I didnt realise until too late. I drenched with a copper sulfate and water solution, the does were about 6 weeks away from their due date and I didnt have any problems. I actually wondered whether I would still have weak kids because I didnt get on to it all that early, but all the kids were fine.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i give my does copper boluses when they enter the thirdtrimester of there pregnancy.. because that's when the babiesare growing the most and use up the most nourishment

11. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thankyou Sweetgoats.. ours haven't bitten ours up at all yet.. but I know we have a replacement :)

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have the plastic one like Amos. Mine haven't cracked it yet, but I try not to give them a chance to do that. :wink: