The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help;
Ways to get my goats to take their copper boles! I have one who puts up a huge fight, anyone have a good way to sneak this copper into my goat!!!!
Thanks for any info!

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
Help;
Ways to get my goats to take their copper boles! I have one who puts up a huge fight, anyone have a good way to sneak this copper into my goat!!!!
Thanks for any info!
Find a easily mushable treat they love. One out of the seven of mine will eat pb.... the rest.... a fight with the bolus gun.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,481 Posts
This device is what I use for mine. After a while it gets a bit chewed up but it's fairly cheap and saves me time. I hold their head against my leg, wiggle the corner of their mouth with this till they open, then put it down the side of their mouth and shoot it in. It's small enough to do one handed very easily, I love it!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,457 Posts
I don't worry about getting the boluses in whole. I open them up and sprinkle them on something the girls like. Most of them go for mashed banana. One will eat it on her grain. I had one goat who would only take it in canned pumpkin.

So test the treat BEFORE you waste copper rods by putting them in something your goats won't eat.

·
Registered
538 Posts
how often should they get their copper?

·
Registered
29,932 Posts
I dose in a syringe where I cut off the tip, fill 1 cc per 60# ( which is pretty close to 1 gram per 22#) I top off with probiotic paste and push it in the mouth and push the plunger then wash it all down with a water drench. works fast and Im sure each get what they need.
"how often should they get their copper?"
Copper should be given based on your areas copper need ..common practice is every 3-4 months. Might talk to your vet to see what your needs are.

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
We use this: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/small-bolus-gun to give the Copasure boluses (https://www.jefferspet.com/products/copasure-for-sheep-and-goats-4-gram-12-capsules).

Since ours have horns we use 2 people, one to hold the horns and tilt head back and another to shove the gun down the throat (past the tongue), release the bolus, and hold their head back with the gun down their throat until you hear them swallow. (thumbup) They have super amazing powers to try and cough them up and chew them so you have to be sure to stick it WAY down the side of their throat. You could probably do it by yourself it would just be a bit harder.

We tried the cheaper plastic pill guns and they broke and were too short.

Reactions: Goat town

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try fig newtons!, I have two that take the bolus with a pumpkin/pb/oat ball (that I make for them), 2 others love bananas! I love fig newtons, maybe my last one will too! Thanks all!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I'll have fig newtons, too. Oh, you mean to disguise the copper.... I just really like Fig Newtons...
:oops:

Reactions: Dwarf Dad

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a chute system to work them in, I run them through had vaccinate and copper bolus twice a year. I just use a bolusing gun and hold their head against the side of the chute. Once you've done it a few times it gets easier.
I've tried treats and never found something that worked for all of them and got tired of trying different things for each goat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts