The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I give copper bolus 2x/year. and provide onyx and magnum milk minerals free choice. My goats continue to be deficient in copper as I can see from their coats, premature delivery, and retained placentas. In a lab test of the fetus liver, they were deficient in selenium and copper.
So, I am still trying to understand why they continue to be deficient.
I am giving the copper bolus by mixing the rods with 4-way and having them eat it, instead of giving on the capsule. Would this method neutralize the effectiveness of the copper bolus?
Also, I use city water and have the analysis but I don't know how to interpret the results. Does anyone know a good reading about water quality for goats?
Cris

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
I agree..use a bolus might be better...the rods need to reach the rumen for a slow time release absorption..chew rods are ineffective I believe 1 gram per 22# or 1 cc per 60# ..It takes time for goats to recover from copper deficiency
I would include BoSe in their boosters to help with the selenium def. which is most likely the cause of early deliveries and retained placentas...I give selenium vit. e gel to each new born...
here is a good link on copper..its wordy lol but a good source
http://www.saanendoah.com/copper1.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am waiting for the 2013 water quality report. We had a lot of fires in our area and the water district was expecting issues with water quality from the runoff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a 2012 report that was very comprehensive. Iron range was: "not detected at test limit to 260 ppb". Is this normal?
Cris

·
Registered
30,575 Posts
Im not sure..but sounds like the amount found could not be registered on their testing grid..making it low iron??? dont quote me lol..Im guessing :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts