Copper bolus and free choice minerals?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatboat, Nov 8, 2010.

1. goatboat

goatboat New Member

I have copper boluses I got because I was told by a local breeder they should have them once a year.

I feed sweetlix minerals free choice. Do you think this is a bad idea? She also feeds the same minerals and also uses the boluses on her herd.

What do you all think? anyone else use copper boluses, how do you like them?

Thanks!

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    We use copper boluses here along with Sweetlix loose minerals. I am in CA though and our state is VERY deficient in both copper and selenium. Just check your area and find out if you are deficent or if you see signs of copper deficiency then definitely bolus. :)

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Definately free choice the minerals, that's a must. As for the copper, we don't copper bolus unless it's needed. If the goats have nice healthy, shiny coats then there is usually no need to bolus.

4. goatboat

goatboat New Member

We are very defficient here in FL too.

Now, I was told that selenium and vitamin E strips the copper from the goats system. Not sure if that's entirely true, but that's what I was told and why it was so important to use the copper boluses.

These mineral things are SO confusing :laugh:

Well, thank you for all your help. I was so worried I was going to kill my goats with them!!

I can also give them to my calves (when their older and weaned of course), right? Does anyone know about running cows with goats? are the same free choice minerals okay for cows and goats? should I get a "cow" mineral?

I'm sorry, I got on to goats and jumped ship and completly landed on a whole different topic :laugh: forgive me, but if someone knows that be awesome!

BTW, thank you guys again!!!

5. Mary Thomas

Mary Thomas New Member

Feb 21, 2010
    As far as the free choice minerals, be careful that the mix has copper in it. We have been buying Acco FCM for goats all along then suddenly they changed the formula and it no longer has copper in it. This is so it can be used by goats AND sheep. Copper for sheep is a big no no. So I will be looking for a different brand of minerals.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yesthere are folks who feed cow minerals along with the goats.

7. goatboat

goatboat New Member

Okay! Another partially off topic thing I'd like to ask.

Sheep, I own 2 katahdin sheep (ewe and ram) they run in the same field as my goats and calves, now I've had the free choice sweetlix meat maker out there with them and all seems well. I was told by a katahdin breeder that they NEED copper (contrary to what I've been told by the internet and other sources) and that they leave the meat maker goat mineral out for their sheep free choice.

Their reasoning was that yes, copper can be toxic, but they NEED some amounts of copper or else they'll have problems just like goats. They told me the katahdin breed is a little different then the wool breeds in that they are more sensitve to copper then the hair varieties such as katahdins. What's your go on it all?

I've had my sheep for about 3 months with no issues on their health due to the goat minerals. I rarely see them at the mineral bucket and when they do stop, they don't take more then a lick. I want to try and find a sheep mineral so both can be out there (so if they don't need copper, they might need something else), do you think this would be alright?

Thanks again! :wave: