Copper Bolus Dosage Update - 1 week

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Suntoo, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    My most obvious issue was/is my white wether turning a reddish color, and my golden blonde (also newly wethered) 5 month old buckling turning white.
    My doe, who's usually the healthiest goat I've ever seen, (a glossy Boer red color) suddenly looked dry with white splotches of hair springing up.

I received the copper boluses in the mail on the 13th of June and started dosing my 5 goats. By the 17th they got the dosages I decided would do to start with.

Today is the 20th.
    Just this morning I looked at them thinking that I can't get anything right or easy. It's hard to be patient...not knowing how long it may take to see results...if any. My boys look like I've given them a haircut besides the discoloration.

But this afternoon I can see real color coming back on my baby wether!
    And his mother, (the Boer red) is looking shiny, glossy, almost back to her lovely self!
    If only my white Louie turns white again....

Here's a list of doses:
    Louie - 120# - 6 grams
    Mickey - 130# - 6 grams
    London - 72# - 4 grams
    Louisa - 66# - 3-4 grams
    Chica - 93# - 4-5 grams

Of course weights are approximate, I used a goat weight tape. And I held my breath with each dose, stuffing their mouths with fruit so that they'd keep swallowing after I got the bolus in their mouths. But we did pretty good.
    They've been free-feeding plenty on Goat Minerals too. Once a day I sprinkle the black oil sunflower seeds in the minerals. THOSE are irresistible!
    :crazy:

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It can take a few weeks to see results.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree on some it takes time and when they get bad it seems to take for ever. Most of mine were very deficient when I got them but I was clueless. They went a year without giving them copper and of course they got worse. It took a year of giving it every 3-4 months before I looked at them and said "wow they are looking good" I thought I was waisting my money the whole time but it worked out. It might take your others a little more time and some animals just seem to need more then others. I still after a few years have some that I consider a little deficient.....but still way better then when I got them

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I have a question about copper. I know our adult does need it. I don't have a gram scale and have '1' calf bolus. How can I possibly divide it up for them? I have done it in the past but I can't remember how I did it lol

Also, my son has a yearling doe dark red cape, white body <boer>. She's getting some red colored hairs coming in on her back/top. Could it just be the way she is? She's very healthy and basically has free choice grain/mineral.
    I'm always afraid to mess with copper on goats, so afraid of hurting them.

5. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I just love to see the goats change to a shiny lovely color after copper boluses. I swear my nubian glistens in the light :)
    Glad it is helping yours too!

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

1cc per 60 lbs. Cut the whole end off of a 3cc or 6cc syringe. Pull back the plunger and pour in the amount you need. Top off with a dab of Probios to hold in rods. Put syringe in back of mouth and push the plunger.