Copper Bolus Dosage?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Suntoo, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    I finally ordered Copper Boluses in 2gm and 4gm.
    But I've read that the correct dosage is 1gm per 22 pounds.
    The instructions say simply to give a 4gm capsule to goats over 3 months and over 50 pounds!
    My inclination is to follow the manufacturers instructions since they know what they make but I hate to under medicate.

My smallest is 5 months at 66#. She took a 2gm capsule. (She should have 3gm.)

My largest is about 1 1/2 years old at 120# and he only got a 4gm cap. (He should have 5-6gm.)

Is it enough copper?

2. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

I give a 4g bolus to my full sized nubians....I could give more at a time but I just give it more often. I have one that gets it 3 times a year and the others are 2 times a year. I may bump them all up to 3 times...they also have loose minerals available...
    Are your goats nice and shiny?

3. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I believe its 1 gram for every 22 lbs of body weight :)

4. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    Yep, it's 1g per 22lbs. My alpine does get between 5 and 8 grams (they vary in size) every 4 months here. While my bucks get 11 grams.
    You'll know if it isnt enough. The red will be lingering, fish tail won't quite be going away.
    My kids get it from 4 months old and up, so they get a 4g bolus at 4 months.

5. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I think it would be ok. You could always break one down and give him another gram or two if you feel unsure. Try putting it in something you know he loves and will slurp up without hesitation.

6. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Hmmm....guess I'll increase mine too. I started slowly because I was afraid to OD them...

7. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Suntoo , I'm sorry , just reread your post . I would tend to stick with the rule of thumb 1 gram for every 22 lbs of body weight. This way your being much more accurate in what your dosing. JMO.

8. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    when i was breaking them down on a gram scale , i was petrified about ODing them . I rather a bit under then too much , just how i see it.
    But to toss a goat a 4 gram capsule and they are only 50 lbs , those directions scare me. I followed the dosing directions on the valbazen bottle and found out i have been under dosing them ! So, given the fact that there isn't much known about goats in the "product" world , i wouldn't necessarily take their word for what is the "right" dosage.

9. christinajh

christinajh Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Utah
    I've heard it's pretty hard to overdose them since it's slowly absorbed, so I'd stick with the 1 gram to 22#. I gave a full cow bolus to my new boer buck because he was pretty close to needing that much. He did fine. I'll be giving him another at 4 months just because he was that bad

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

10. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I totally forgot about that ! ^^^^ But i still would break it down , save the gram or two for another animal ;) Its good to know that if you do make a mistake , you can continue to breathe , its not a death sentence ;)

11. Little-Bits-N-Pieces

Little-Bits-N-Pieces Active Member

Apr 7, 2013
    CA
    It's pretty hard to hurt them with it. There is someone with Saanens on here who did her doe twice, and she was fine.

Since my bucks are so close to the smaller calf bolus, they just get the entire thing, 1.5 grams more isn't going to hurt them. :)

12. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
  13. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    LOL!
    Not anymore!
    That's why I ordered the copper.
    Feed stores around here never even heard of a copper bolus. Thanks to this forum maybe my goats will look like they're supposed to again.
    :book:

14. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    That's how I got 4 of them dosed....

the 5th one is a challenge....she can smell the copper cap! I don't know if she'll ever touch another strawberry!
    :devilish:

15. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    Thanks for all the help!
    I got both 2 gram and 4 gram capsules so I can easily increase the dosages.

By the way;
    I got a regular sized balling gun and a smaller "pet piller" recommended for the small caps. The pet piller is too small for the 2 gram caps.
    And because I have no second set of hands, the balling gun hasn't been any help to me.
    Only trickery has worked so far and even then...one doe is smarter than me.
    :ponder:

16. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    I hear ya ^^^ I have one that refuses everything now. Im going to get her eventually ;)

17. Suntoo

Suntoo Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Southern Nevada
    I finally got her! I'm not sure how much she actually swallowed, but she got most of what I gave her!
    It was watermelon that finally did it.
    :wink:

18. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Nice going Suntoo :) :leap:
    Now you can come over and get my doe to take it , lol.

19. CritterCarnival

CritterCarnival Yes Dear Goat Farm

Sep 17, 2013
    Western Kentucky
    I've found that if I open the caps and weight out the correct dose, then mix it in with mashed up over ripe banana, I can get even the most finicky eater to take it with ease.

Yes, I know you are suppose to give it to them in a capsule to take whole, but if they are going to fight, chew and split it open anyway, I don't see much difference. At least I know how much is going into them with the banana paste.

20. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I learned here to give copper 1 cc per 60# using a syringe...it was much easier then capsuls which got stuck or they spit out...

cut the whole tip off a syringe.( i use a 6 cc size) Pour 1 cc per 60# in it and top it off with porbiotic paste ...drench it down..we follow with a drenching gun of water to wash it all down...I buy cow bolus and break them down...easy peasy : )