The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Briawell6293
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried searching it but can’t find it anywhere at this moment. What is the dosage rate for copper bolus?

TIA

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
The real answer is - there is no official dosage rate.

I see the 1 gram per 22 lbs cited very often but have never found a source for that.

The manufacturer recommendations are:

UltraCruz (source: https://www.scahealth.com/scah/prod...MIlrS-m9yC5AIV5__jBx2FmwhGEAQYASABEgLSTPD_BwE)

less than 3 months old & less than 50 lbs, 2 grams
over 3 months old & over 50 lbs, 4 grams

Copasure (source: https://www.durvet.com/product/copasure-goat/)
for goats less than 25 lbs but ruminating, 2 grams
for goats 50-200 lbs, 4 grams

·
8,168 Posts
I think the 1 gram per 22# was cited on here way back near the beginning of the copper supplement era. So, I figured that was a modest dosage and adjusted accordingly. It's better to underdose at first than overdose in the beginning. (At least in my mind.) you can always give more copper, but can't take any away, once they eat it! ;)

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Yep, 1 gram per 22 lbs.
I under dose a bit and wait until 4 months later, then see if the deficiency is still there or not.
I will retreat then, if I still see deficiency.

It takes a while for the copper bolus to work to it's full potential.
So this gives it time to work.
Do not over dose.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think the 1 per 22 is probably a good starting point on trying to figure out the correct dosage for ones animals. Not every herd is the same though. Toth says she under doses the 1 per 22 and then waits 2 months, obviously that works for her goats. That wasn’t working with mine when I first started dipping my toes into copper bolusing. They were simply just getting worse. So now I over dose, according to the 1 per 22, and have to give every 3-4 months and I keep on top of it.
I really recommend keeping notes while trying to figure out how much and often to give to your goats. Don’t go rushing out there and give a huge amount, I would start with the 1 per 22 or if your not comfortable with that less but write it down. Keep track of if signs are getting better, when signs are presenting again and you will eventually get the hang of what works for YOURS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts